Cal-Hypo versus bleach with low CA level

May 26, 2014
Richmond, VA
I'm debating on whether to buy some cal hypo or not since our calcium is very low. (31) I'm dealing with high CYA so I don't want to use any of the huge container of dichlor we have sitting around. Our pool is inground, fiberglass with a sand filter. The SWG is broken, so sad! So it's just regular chlorine until we can afford a new one. Current FC is 1!! Should I add a bunch of bleach and invest in some calcium chloride, or use cal hypo to bring it up over time? How much CA does cal hypo add?

Please advise, thank you very much.

Calcium, 31 ? Is this a typo? How did you get the test results?

For FG pools, we recommend CH of 220 to 320. You can use the cal hypo if you want, but keep track of how much you are adding so you do not overshoot recommended CH level.

You can find "effects of adding chemicals" to your pool near the bottom of PoolMath. You will need to fill in some info, like size of pool/gallonst. Pool Math button at top of each page in menu bar.

I suggest you confirm CH test before buying/adding cal hypo.

Welcome :wave:

Calcium, 31 ? Is this a typo? How did you get the test results?

For FG pools, we recommend CH of 220 to 320. You can use the cal hypo if you want, but keep track of how much you are adding so you do not overshoot recommended CH level.

You can find "effects of adding chemicals" to your pool near the bottom of PoolMath. You will need to fill in some info, like size of pool/gallonst. Pool Math button at top of each page in menu bar.

I suggest you confirm CH test before buying/adding cal hypo.

Welcome :wave:

Thanks, I got the calcium result from the nearby pool store because don't have a kit yet. I am going to order one. I know that the poolmath calculator will tell me how much cal hypo to add to get to the target FC level, but didn't know it would also tell me how much calcium will be added with it as well. I'll play around with it and see.

We're doing bleach for now, since we need to get something in there tonight! (starting to see some clouding and such and weather is warming up, I think it stayed ok over the weekend because it was cooler out)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.