Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cal-Hypo versus bleach with low CA level

1. Back To Top    #1

Cal-Hypo versus bleach with low CA level

I'm debating on whether to buy some cal hypo or not since our calcium is very low. (31) I'm dealing with high CYA so I don't want to use any of the huge container of dichlor we have sitting around. Our pool is inground, fiberglass with a sand filter. The SWG is broken, so sad! So it's just regular chlorine until we can afford a new one. Current FC is 1!! Should I add a bunch of bleach and invest in some calcium chloride, or use cal hypo to bring it up over time? How much CA does cal hypo add?

Please advise, thank you very much.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cal-Hypo versus bleach with low CA level

Use pool math; there's a link at the top of every page here. At the bottom there a calculator that well help you get answers to these type questions. You might want to put your pools details, equipment in your signature.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium, 31 ? Is this a typo? How did you get the test results?

For FG pools, we recommend CH of 220 to 320. You can use the cal hypo if you want, but keep track of how much you are adding so you do not overshoot recommended CH level.

You can find "effects of adding chemicals" to your pool near the bottom of PoolMath. You will need to fill in some info, like size of pool/gallonst. Pool Math button at top of each page in menu bar.

I suggest you confirm CH test before buying/adding cal hypo.

Welcome
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Calcium, 31 ? Is this a typo? How did you get the test results?

For FG pools, we recommend CH of 220 to 320. You can use the cal hypo if you want, but keep track of how much you are adding so you do not overshoot recommended CH level.

You can find "effects of adding chemicals" to your pool near the bottom of PoolMath. You will need to fill in some info, like size of pool/gallonst. Pool Math button at top of each page in menu bar.

I suggest you confirm CH test before buying/adding cal hypo.

Welcome
    Thanks, I got the calcium result from the nearby pool store because don't have a kit yet. I am going to order one. I know that the poolmath calculator will tell me how much cal hypo to add to get to the target FC level, but didn't know it would also tell me how much calcium will be added with it as well. I'll play around with it and see.

We're doing bleach for now, since we need to get something in there tonight! (starting to see some clouding and such and weather is warming up, I think it stayed ok over the weekend because it was cooler out)