Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar pump???

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar pump???

Anybody using a solar pump that really works?

Power here in the USVI is .53/KWH and I'm think that we have plenty of sun so why not.
    8,000 gal, IG Fiberlass, Hayward DE4820 filter, Pentair Single 1.5 HP pump, Autopilot DIG-220 w/ RC 35/22 cell, Circulator returns. Tropical climate, ave. temps 85-90 degrees days 70-75 degrees nights 365.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar pump???

Why not just use your existing pool pump? That is normally the way solar systems are run.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think OP is inquiring about a main pump that is solar powered.

If so, I think you will find the cost to do so excessive. Main pumps require a lot of energy that is not easily obtainable ($$$$) with solar panels.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

There are specialized pumps designed to work with solar panels. However, once you price them out you will find that they cost significantly more than the price of a conventional pump plus the electricity to run it, even if your electric rates are fairly high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The topic of these speciality solar pump kits comes up from time to time, but I don't know of any members that have invested in them. Generally they are DC motor powered pumps that connect directly to a solar panel, this allows the pump to run at varying speeds depending on how much light is hitting the panel, and does not have to deal with power loss converting to AC, etc.

Ike

p.s. there are some of these listed on ebay at the moment, price is nearly $1,500 for the smallest pump, this does not include the solar panel or wiring, specs say minimum panel output needed is 720 watts (max panel 1,000)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by STX Steve View Post
    Anybody using a solar pump a part of solar power system that really works?

Power here in the USVI is .53/KWH and I'm think that we have plenty of sun so why not.
    I got one few years back but it did not worked effectively so I removed it..

7. Back To Top    #7

Pentair Single 1.5 HP pump
    Best thing would be to swap out the motor with a two speed and cut your energy cost by a factor of four. Shortening run time can help a lot too. Also at that rate a VS pump might make sense.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy ran his vs pump with something like 5 solar panels and a couple inverters. It was running around 1150 watts I believe, and his solar system was making a little over 1200 watts. No idea how much he sank into the system, but it wasn't any kind of "kit". He assembled it all himself. So, it is possible, but would probably take a while to break even when compared to a 2 speed or vs pump running the minimum required time.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100