Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I have "curbed" uninvited guest....

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I have "curbed" uninvited guest....

It's a super long story, but I finally have my Wife on board with me. We (she) are no longer going to allow people to come over and swim, as we (she) has done in the past, while were are not home. This has been driving me nuts for quite some time now. Last year I was at my wits end and felt as I had lost control of our pool, a certain friend not only came over daily with kids in tow, even hosting birthday parties with guest we did not know. She would also come over in the evenings unannounced. It was crazy.....

I called my State Farm Agent and quizzed him about liability. He said that it was a horrible idea to allow people to access our pool while we were not home supervising. Said that If there was an accident there could potentially be a policy issue, since we allowed them to swim. Went on to say that the pool owners should be home and supervising. He said there should be locks on the gates so if someone did hop the fence, it would be trespassing. Last week I did rebuilt our gate with provisions for a padlock, (ya me!) The old one only had a hook closure.

So last night the lock went on and I feel like I finally won the battle over the pool. I told my wife I would break it to our #1 abuser. Which will be bitter sweet for me. Last year she told my wife that they would only come over when I was not home, because she thought I was being an A-hole, which really lit a fire under me.

No if I can get through to the neighbor kids, that we would like to have our own pool time without them once in a while.....
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I have "curbed" uninvited guest....

I am glad I live out in the country in the middle of the woods, even with that my insurance suggested locks also!
    40,000 gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter, oldie but goodie, Chef for all your cooking questions!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good luck! I am in a neighborhood of about 43 homes. My daughter is 6 and most kids in the neighborhood are her age +/- 2 years. There are A LOT of kids...

We are the only pool in the neighborhood, lol....YIKES! This is our 3rd year now, so she was 4 and not too many are swimming at 4. But I just locked all my gates. We have people over all the time but I can see this getting ugly soon.
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

4. Back To Top    #4

Believe me Jimmerz, you want to set limits early!
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I remember your thread from last year. Glad to hear that you're able to get your pool back!
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Mike, I had to get a new user name for some reason. We had not hear much out of her until the weather warmed up, then every day a text asking. My wife just told her we had pool problems until I could put a stop to it.
    The audacity of some people.... Yes I'm glad to have it back, now if I can only get my daughter to play music I like to listen to!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just go by that old saying....."Good fences Make good neighbors"................even more so with a lock on them!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's so funny to travel the country and see the different living styles. Here in Oregon EVERYONE has a fence (mostly cedar, but some chain link with privacy slats). I visit family in Pennsylvania and NOBODY has fencing unless it is a natural hedge row. I had some business in Wisconsin and nary a single fence. Behind everyone's house was a yard that just ran into all the neighbors yards. Kinda funny to see the patterns being so different.

Only family and close friends are welcome when I am not home. 6' tall chain link fence is locked and only way to the pool is through the house.
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Kellychaison View Post
    I am glad I live out in the country in the middle of the woods, even with that my insurance suggested locks also!
    Me too!!!
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

That's crazy somebody your not even really friends with would text asking to come swim like that. I'd be like "sorry, nope!"
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I have kids in my complex that range from 7 - 11.... We've got a deeper pool this year, and I've told them if they want to use the pool, their parents have to come and supervise them... I'm not babysitting other peoples kids for hours on end.....Unfortunately, one set of these parents aren't very hands on, so I don't think we'll be seeing much of their kids this summer.....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK
    Last year she told my wife that they would only come over when I was not home, because she thought I was being an A-hole, which really lit a fire under me.
    Seriously...they actually said this? If that's the way this neighbor feels about you, then they're certainly not your friend. I wouldn't invite this person over even if you were home and hosting a pool party. Good riddance!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    I have kids in my complex that range from 7 - 11.... We've got a deeper pool this year, and I've told them if they want to use the pool, their parents have to come and supervise them... I'm not babysitting other peoples kids for hours on end.....Unfortunately, one set of these parents aren't very hands on, so I don't think we'll be seeing much of their kids this summer.....
    Lacey, do you have kids? That is so kind of you to just let them come have some fun swim time.

I'm thinking, if they are not friends with my kids, no swimming for you. I just know it would get out of control.
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMama View Post
    Lacey, do you have kids? That is so kind of you to just let them come have some fun swim time.

I'm thinking, if they are not friends with my kids, no swimming for you. I just know it would get out of control.
    Yup I've got two sons, aged 10 and nearly 6... The nearly 6 has autistic superpowers... All the kids play together in the afternoon..... My kids are both proficient swimmers and I'm confident in their abilities, I don't feel the same way about the kids in the comples.... I don't have to sit and ride shotgun, I can be in and out doing things and still watch my kids, but I can't take the same responsibility for someone elses kids.... If one of them drowned in my pool, I'd be devastated....

My new pool is about 4 inches deeper than our last one, and my kids are both really tall, so not an issue for me and mine, but some of the kids in the complex are quite small for their ages so that's when I think it's the parents responsibility to watch them.... I have made it clear I am not the house to send your kids to in the summer when you want a break for a few hours... Which is what happened last year....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

15. Back To Top    #15

People these days and their "entitlement" attitude. Wonder how many times they offered to pay for some pool chemicals or cleaned your pool for you.

I've seen it a thousand times. They come over, use everything as if it was their own, and then leave their mess and expect you to clean up after them all without a simple thank you.

I don't mind a few people over to swim with the kids, but it will only be when we are home and are supervising. My pool, my rules.

16. Back To Top    #16

You are all much better neighbors than I. I do not allow anyone to swim in my pool except for my family, and only when I am here; Too many lawsuits going on out there. I have a 6ft vinyl fence with locked gates. Pool also has an automatic cover on it which is closed when I am gone. One of my neighbors leaves his side gate open to allow neighborhood kids access anytime they want to swim - that is an accident waiting to happen. I may be a pool "snob", but I don't have to worry about being served papers and possibly losing everything because someone stubbed a toe on my pool steps, or fell while running around on the concrete. I don't even want to think what worse things could happen. Friends could turn into your worst enemy when it comes to money.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

17. Back To Top    #17

I really struggled with setting boundaries about this last year (our first season with a pool). Someone on here made a VERY good point that resonated with me. If someone is expecting to use your pool, are they close enough that they wouldn't hesitate to give you the keys to their car? Would you call them without thinking twice to ask to use their boat? That weeded people out REALLY quickly for me. I have one neighborhood family that is allowed access to the pool if we are not home. Their daughter is super good friends with our daughter and I have taken the kid on vacation trips with us. They watch our dogs for us if we aren't home. I have NO hesitation letting them use the pool even if we are not home (they always ask, but I always say "yes"). Often it is just the kids that come down, but the oldest 2 are college age and the younger is now in high school.

And strangely the parents very very rarely ever hang out with us. They are more than willing to help us if I get into some kind of bind with kid transport and I could probably call them at 3am to help if I had a real emergency. They belong to a pretty strict religion and tend to socialize mostly with people from their own church. It is kind of a strange relationship, but I am totally comfy with them having access to the pool. No one else has ever used it without us being home. I have another friend who will sometimes text in the evening to see if he and his boys can come and swim, and if I am home, they do. He is great, but I could totally see his high school age boys getting the idea that they could sneak in if I wasn't home. Decent kids, but a streak of the devil in the oldest one. Everyone else is on invite only. Oh, and my family lives too far away to just drop in. They would be welcome anytime.

Oh and as an aside, if anyone called me (the person who tends to the pool) an a-hole, they wouldn't be back to swim. I might be an a-hole, but I am the a-hole in charge of the pool. BOW DOWN BEFORE MY MIGHTY POOL POWER. I would have put a lock on the next day.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

18. Back To Top    #18

When I was growing up, the people across the street had a pool. Their kids and my brother and I were best friends, and we swam in their pool all the time. However, we never would have thought of using it uninvited. We always asked, and there was always one of their parents home. They even made a small sign that said "sorry, no swimming today" on it that they would put on the front of their house if they were having a party or something like that so we knew not to even think about asking that day. I thought that was a great idea and was also very nice of them. They also had a locked gate, and I knew the combo to the gate since I was 9 or so, but I never thought of going in if they were not home.

When I was older, I took care of their pool when they were on vacation (also cut the grass). I would vac it, clean the filter (an old bag filter) and add pucks (ugh) as necessary. Even though I had access to the pool, and was actually working on the pool, I never swam it in while tney were on vacation and not home.

It amazes me how some people just take over other people's personal property.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

19. Back To Top    #19

I have a co-worker whom I've invited/allowed to use my hot tub and pool while we're away or I'm sleeping (I work PMs). I feel that the hot tub is happier with more use than just sitting there unused. I keep the water maintained . Same for the pool- I'd rather it be used and enjoyed than not, so he knows the secret hiding place for the autocover's key. He sometimes brings his teenaged cousin with him to help him learn to swim better. Without me ever asking, I've seen them do some simple pool cleaning tasks, he waters my plants and they're so quiet and neat you'd never know they'd been there! I've even offered access to the bev fridge in the pool house but all they'll ever drink is the water. I'm okay with all this.
    We're the older couple on the cul-de-sac and I keep wanting to get to know all the young couples and young families better. I keep thinking a open house pool party might be in order. We don't have kids on the street old enough to play on their own so I know I won't have anyone knocking on my door asking to swim otherwise.
    I do like the idea of an "open swim" flag- if its out everyone is welcome, if flag not out-the pool is closed.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Seriously...they actually said this? If that's the way this neighbor feels about you, then they're certainly not your friend. I wouldn't invite this person over even if you were home and hosting a pool party. Good riddance!
    Amazing huh? I truly wished my wife would not have told me.