Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to cover an intex pool for winter

1. Back To Top    #1

How to cover an intex pool for winter

I tried covering the intex pool I had last year with a tarp and using 10 bungees with milk bottles filled with water. That didn't work well. The water pooled so badly in the middle I had to poke holes in it just to drain it so I didn't weigh down the sides. And for big snow storms of 10" I just took the cover off because I didn't want the added weight.

Any suggestions for a 14' pool?

I see they sell heavy duty covers but I feel like I will run into the same water pooling in the center problem.

I saw using a tarp bungeed with cinderblocks, may do that.

Or I saw someone suggest just leave it uncovered? I may do that and empty and refill in the spring when I'm ready to go in it. Filling my 3500 galloon pool is about $20 based on my water bill.
    Gallons: 3500 Gallons
    Pool: Intex 14'x42" Round Metal Frame
    Filter: 1000 GPH Cartridge Filter (Came with pool)
    Using Intex Saltwater Generator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: How to cover an intex pool for winter

I have a couple of cheap mesh covers I use. I ran rope in a star pattern from post to post, tightened enough to support the covers, and used water filled bleach jugs to secure the sides.

Admittedly, tree droppings did get through the cover, so still had a bit of minor vacuuming to do when I opened.

This method kept the mesh out of the water, and the largest debris stayed on top. Held up to 1/2" of ice followed by 6" of snow.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Princeton, Indiana

Re: How to cover an intex pool for winter

Did you put anything in the middle like an inner tube, so your cover would be tee-pee shaped? That way it would just roll off, I think?
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?