Hello everyone! We bought our home 2 years ago which came with an above ground pool (this is our third summer with the pool). The pool is my responsibility and my husband wants no part in it other than swimming (figures, right?!). I've managed to keep the pool useable, although not perfect, the past 2 summers but have had my fair share of issues (and comments from my husband) and I'm ready to really understand how to take care of it so I can avoid the headaches throughout this summer (and keep the husband quiet!!!). We opened the pool this summer to a swamp, I admit we didn't close it properly because I was just tired of dealing with it by then that covering seemed like a better option, out of sight out of mind. I've been using a simple test kit purchased at Walmart but I just purchased the TF-50 test kit today (I hope that will suffice). So back to the swamp: I've added 8 jugs of generic bleach (4 jugs yesterday and 4 jugs again today) and have been running my pump since 11am yesterday. I brushed the bottom this morning and stirred up what's still there. There's a noticeable improvement in color, its now a lovely shade of blue/green and cloudy beyond anything. I know without my test kit it'll be hard to know exactly what to do next but I can give you the Walmart test kit range if that will help. I'm not very good at chemistry and even had a hard time following a lot of what I read on this site already, so patience is needed! I just want a beautiful pool with minimal headaches!!!