Impeller Damage?

unixfreak

May 10, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I opened the pool a few months ago and everything was going great until last week. The strainer cover had a crack and finally blew off. As a result of this, the pump ran dry for at least 8 hours. I replaced the cover yesterday, having a hard time getting it primed and when I did there was a lot of air at the discharge and in the whole system. The strainer to pump is also leaking pretty good. I took it apart and was able to pull the impeller right off without much effort. I pressed it back on and WAS NOT able to pull it off again. I closed every thing up.... and it's still running but a lot of air in the system. When I turned it off there was so much air in the system it violently bubbled up in the skimmer.

What parts are typically ordered for this job? O-ring seals, impeller and impeller seal?

Usually when the pump overheats there is distortion of the main body, which tends to cause air leaks and require replacement. So check the body carefully and make sure all of the sealing surfaces still mate together correctly before trying to reuse it. It varies, but you usually need to replace the main plastic pump body piece.

They sell a kit, usually called a "Go Kit" that contains all of the o-rings and seals other than the shaft seal.

Usually when the pump overheats there is distortion of the main body, which tends to cause air leaks and require replacement. So check the body carefully and make sure all of the sealing surfaces still mate together correctly before trying to reuse it. It varies, but you usually need to replace the main plastic pump body piece.

They sell a kit, usually called a "Go Kit" that contains all of the o-rings and seals other than the shaft seal.

Its as you said ... the main body of the pump is leaking. I'm already down a week. They (Doughboy) parts want 70.00 for that piece. Should I just bite the bullet and buy another pump?

It is certainly possible to fix the pump, and it will cost less than the other options as well. However, if you have some other reason to replace the pump, like getting a more energy efficient pump, this is a plausible time to do so.

I cut my losses and bought a 1.5HP Hayward for 167.00. I found that the powerline was a poor design in how it seals the main body pump housing to the strainer housing. That is the reason for the leaks at this point. It uses a flimsy strap to draw the two pieces together. Also moving forward, I will be able to repair any part of it much easier than the proprietary powerline. The other reason is that I know when I receive it, it's going to work and I will be done with it. I've driven to the parts store twice which is an 80 mile round trip drive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.