Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could I possibly delay in opening pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Could I possibly delay in opening pool?

I have an above ground 24' pool. I have used the TFPC method for the last two years.... THANK GOODNESS for you guys... I will not step foot in a pool store again...

Anyway, I am lucky enough to be going to New York June 17th-July 5th. I have not opened my pool yet because I am debating on waiting until I get back. We are in the 80's here and will most likely reach 90's and possibly 100's by time I get back. Am I creating a disaster? I really am unsure on having someone check on the pool and understand the maintenance of it. I also failed to mention I have a 30' cottonwood tree above this bucket of water so for part of the time I am gone it is a bit of a battle with the cotton and skimmer... I use a sock and have to change it about five times a day. I have the pool covered now with a gray/black cover. If you feel I am better off opening it let me know. If you have any advice please share... Thank you so much.
    Mary
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    SAND
    AG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could I possibly delay in opening pool?

I would open it and get it all balanced. Then raise it to shock level and put the winter cover back on the evening before leaving. It will be easier to find someone to raise it back to shock level once or twice than to clean the skimmer multiple times a day. I would be curious to know how much CO2 a cottonwood tree reduces versus how much it causes from clogging everyone's air conditioner that lives nearby.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you could leave it closed. It may be really nasty when you get back, but you wouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong with the equipment or anything.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know about the CO2 but with exception to the shade the tree is very much a nuisance.
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    SAND
    AG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You could do this either way but I would side with Melt In The Sun and leave it covered.

Prepare to SLAM it when you return.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School