Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool questions

I had my pool installed a month ago and the construction in the backyard completed 3 days ago and the water was VERY Green. I have the TFT 100 XL test kit and when I opened my pool i had no chlorine, 7.8 Ph, and 0 CYA

I added 16oz by volume of granular CYA in a sock day 0 (it is day 3 and it is still dissolving)

I shocked the pool religiously to about 10-15 ppm of FC and tried to maintain that level every hour.

This is the beginning of day 3, and it is no longer green but very cloudy and I can't see the floor yet.

Last night the level was
    FC 9.5
    CC 1

This morning before the sun rose was
    FC 8
    CC 1

Am I doing everything right so far?

Also, the only vacuum I have is the Aquabot Junior, can I throw that in while shocking and running the filter?

Thanks
    12' x 18' Oval Above Ground Pool (buried 2')
    Manufacturer states ~5,000 gallons
    Pentair CC75 Cartridge Filter System 1-HP Opti-Flo Pump
    Bleach Chlorination Method
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool questions

Yes you're doing everything right. I would not use the bot while SLAMing. Brush daily. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve quicker - is it tied in front of return or is it in the skimmer.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    Yes you're doing everything right. I would not use the bot while SLAMing. Brush daily. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve quicker - is it tied in front of return or is it in the skimmer.

I have it tied on by the jet, right next to the stream, I go and squeeze it occasionally. There is only a little left to dissolve.
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

How much CYA did you add? SLAM to that level and don't stop til the pool clears!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You're doing fine. Since it's a fresh fill, there probably isn't a whole lot of debris in the pool besides dust. So the lack of vacuuming probably doesn't make much difference. You should have roughly 25 CYA, so you're SLAMming at the right level.

I'd say it's just the cartridge filter taking forever to clear things. Be sure to brush to get the sediment up in circulation so the filter can grab it, and watch the pressure and clean the filter when it starts clogging.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just noticed that my pump has lost pressure, on the gauge it has a start mark (20 psi) and a clean mark (30 psi) and right now its about 17 psi under the start. I also noticed that the stream is barely visibile, but when I first turned on it was alot stronger.

What can cause this?
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
    I just noticed that my pump has lost pressure, on the gauge it has a start mark (20 psi) and a clean mark (30 psi) and right now its about 17 psi under the start. I also noticed that the stream is barely visibile, but when I first turned on it was alot stronger.

What can cause this?
    Low pressure indicates a restriction on the suction side, or an air leak. First check for a clogged skimmer basket and pump basket. Also check that the water level is high enough that the skimmer is not creating a vortex and sucking air. Make sure the flapper isn't stuck.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Low pressure indicates a restriction on the suction side, or an air leak. First check for a clogged skimmer basket and pump basket. Also check that the water level is high enough that the skimmer is not creating a vortex and sucking air. Make sure the flapper isn't stuck.
    I checked and cleaned the skimmer basket and the pump basket and released any air before starting her up again and it still is at 17psi.

Where should the water level be? Mine is a little over half way of the skimmer return
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

9. Back To Top    #9

Halfway up the skimmer opening should be right. Try flicking the gauge face with your fingernail a few times. Maybe the needle is sticking.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Halfway up the skimmer opening should be right. Try flicking the gauge face with your fingernail a few times. Maybe the needle is sticking.
    I flicked the gauge it didnt do the trick, but I also notice the pressure being alot less when I first turned it on.

Tomorrow I will stop the pump and clean the cartridge maybe that is causing it?

On a side note, my CC count seems to be increasing in the past few hours, going from .5 to 1, is this normal?
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

11. Back To Top    #11

It is if things are being oxidized. Usually a dirty cartridge causes pressure to rise. I'm thinking a clog. Can you turn off the pump, open the pump basket and check your impeller? put your fingers in the hole behind the basket.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    It is if things are being oxidized. Usually a dirty cartridge causes pressure to rise. I'm thinking a clog. Can you turn off the pump, open the pump basket and check your impeller? put your fingers in the hole behind the basket.
    Tried that as far as my finger can reach and no clogging. I might have to call a pool expert to come take a look.

Something some where might be clogged because when I first turned on the unit it went to about 20 psi then I remember it rose slightly every few hours and when I noticed it has been at 17psi for about 24 hours now
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

13. Back To Top    #13

Try finding an able assistant with small hands. I can't reach my impeller, but the wife can and has gotten junk off of the impeller. It improved the pressure greatly.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

My pool guy is booked solid so I am going to disconnect all the connections and hope that one of the connections weren't air right.

My pump/filter is cleaning the pool but very slowly

How much nylon tape (white tape) do you put around the threaded connections? When I did it I went twice around but a friend of mine said to go 4-5 times around and he feels that's where my problem lies.

Also, I did not put lubricant on the filter basket, should I?
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

15. Back To Top    #15

Took every connection off and re-did everything and even changed the shut of valve since I had a spare, bled the system, released any air and fired her back up. the pressure went to 17-18psi and stayed there hasnt moved. Now I am paranoid it is not strong enough and I feel it was stronger the very first time I fired it up.

1 - How strong should the stream be? Should I see the water moving or not necessarily?

2 - If I had an air leak, would the pressure continue to drop of will it stabilize?
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

16. Back To Top    #16

Update - I found the problem, it was a drain plug on the bottom. I found a youtube video online of a guy burning 3 sticks of incense and bringing them near all the joints to see if any of the smoke gets sucked in and it worked for me. I wanted to post here in case anyone has a similar issue with this.

Thanks for all your help!
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum