Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool with first test results

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool with first test results

Hey guys, just had my pool installed over the winter and have been enjoying it for a month or so now. It's an 18x38 oasis shaped IG liner salt water pool with 8' deep end. 38880 gals. based on pool math. Never owned a pool before.

Been lurking on this forum for awhile and have gotten a lot of great information. Still a little confused on the chemical stuff. Just tested my water with my tf-100 kit. Water looks great, crystal clear. Here are my results.

FC. 1.5
    CC. 0
    CYA. 0
    TA. 88
    CH. 50
    Salt 2900

I know I need to raise the cya. What's the best way to do this. Stocking method with stabilizer from Walmart? Raise the FC also?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool with first test results

Whats your PH? What kind of filter? Since the water is clear and you're not having any problems, You can add 1-2 lbs of the CYA directly to the skimmer at a time and leave the filter running. Since you're having to add a lot - I like to do a combination - pour a couple pounds in the skimmer each day, leave the filter running, and put the rest in the Nylon. Yes the HTH from Walmart is fine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

but, if you dump it in the skimmer, you can't backwash for probably 48 hours or you will lose some. I would still go with the sock method. You may want to add some bleach to get your FC a little higher. After your CYA is up the SWG may be able to maintain it at a higher level.

Welecome.
    IG plaster, 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply. Ph was 8.2. I have a pentair clean and clear cartridge filter.
    18x38 IG liner salt water pool, pentair cartridge filter, whisper flow two stage pump, Hayward t-15 cell, Hayward aqua plus, legend cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Correct, but if the water's clear doubtful you'll need to backwash for 2 days anyway... That's why I asked what type of filter...Cartridge won't matter at all.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Based on pool math I'm going to need about 360oz. to get cya to 70. Home Depot has 5lb granular jugs for $20 ea. can I just pour some directly in the skimmer and hang a sock in front of a jet? Guess I should do 10 lbs over the next few days and retest?
    18x38 IG liner salt water pool, pentair cartridge filter, whisper flow two stage pump, Hayward t-15 cell, Hayward aqua plus, legend cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

See if you can find this at your local Wal-Mart. Mine was 19 something for a 6.5 lb jug
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc26ek882s...2016.02.39.jpg

Here's a direct link
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok added 3lbs of stabilizer. Should I add some liquid chlorine now to bring my FC up some? I have a gallon of hth liquid chlorinator 10%. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. Add it slowly over the next several days - test 5-7 days after adding for it to fully show up on tests. I'd test mid way through the additions to see where you're at on the level.