Cartridge Size for 10k Gallon AGP - take 2

Jun 3, 2014
Orland Park
Hi guys,

Great community you've got here!

I've read a number of different things about how to determine the size of filter you need.

I've got a 21' AGP, so around ~10k gallons. Given that, I need a flow of ~21gpm. A .5hp pump should easily do the job. I'm just not sure what size filter I need. Based on "sizing your filter to meet your pump", I could get away with as small as 25 sq. ft, I think? There are a variety of sub-100 sq. ft. filters available on Amazon (though, weirdly, almost no .5hp pumps).

But it seems like all the charts I see *start* at 100 sq. ft.

Also, I know it's best to go as big on the filter as you can afford. But ideally we'd like next summer (and maybe this one if things work out) to be our last at this house. So it'd be great to spend as little as possible since we're only looking short-term.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't see sizes like your proposing except on Intex pools and well, eh... I wouldn't go smaller than 100 sf and you need to consider suction strength for vacuuming which is probably why you don't see .5 hp... perhaps a used 2 speed pump - look on CL or Ebay...

Thanks for the feedback!

Amazon has quite a few sub-100 sq. ft. filters, a lot of them made by Hayward.

Honestly, I'm not even *that* opposed to an Intex if it could do the job. Some of them are rated @ 2500 gph and I only need half that for an 8 hr turnover. If the only drawback to that is that I need to clean the filter every couple of weeks, that's fine. 15 minutes, no big deal.

I thought I'd read on the forums here that a .5hp pump is sufficient for vacuuming, no?

Honestly, I'm not even *that* opposed to an Intex if it could do the job. Some of them are rated @ 2500 gph and I only need half that for an 8 hr turnover. If the only drawback to that is that I need to clean the filter every couple of weeks, that's fine. 15 minutes, no big deal.

It's not the only drawback and there are plenty of threads on here with Intex owners upgrading out of frustration...just sayin ;-)

An 8 hour turn over is like an old wives tale ... read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

I would recommend the 1HP 2-speed Hayward Matrix.
I don't know where the heck Orland Park is to know how long your season is, but for your size pool I would suggest filters around 150 sqft ... you can not go too big. If you have a short season and/or low debris loads and do not mind cleaning the filter, then a smaller filter would be ok.

If you go with the Intex, then get the 2500 pump (which is best case, your actual flow rate will not be that high) with the largest sand filter they got.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Orland Park is a Chicago suburb, so our season is woefully short. We usually open around Memorial day and are closed up by Labor Day.

The easiest way to order a pump and filter from Amazon is in a combo. Unfortunately, all of the bigger filters are coupled with bigger pumps. So I got a 120 sq. ft., but it comes with a 1.5hp pump. The other option was 90 sq. ft. and a 1hp pump. After that, there were a bunch of Hayward filter/pump combo with sq. ft. in the 50 range.

Should be here on Friday (and of course, then we've got cool weather for a week or two).

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.