Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SolarAttic - First Spring

1. Back To Top    #1
    Fayetteville, NY

SolarAttic - First Spring

Last August I installed a SolarAttic system. The Solar Attic is basically a radiator that goes in the attic, and transfers heat from the attic into the pool. I live in Upstate New York, which is not known for sun. I have actually never seen a solar pool installation around here. I was worried this area may not work well with a traditional roof panel setup. Last spring, I placed digital wireless thermometers up in the attic saw it met the specs for where they said it's effective. We also use a cover.

I opened the pool about 5 weeks ago at 45F. Yesterday we hit 85F. I hear other non-heated pools around here are in the low 70's. I thought I'd post some graphs about the temperatures this spring. It's clear that the cold nights we had a few weeks back were a killer, with about a week of hardly any sun. Right now, average daily air temperate for the last 7 days (calculated every 5 minutes) is about 66F, with average for 30 days at 63 or so.

First, the pool temps:

Now combined with other temps: (For solar, the bold line means the system is on)
    air30day (1).jpg
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SolarAttic - First Spring

Do you like your Solar Attic? Does it work well for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools