Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Sand with Glass Beads (Pearls)

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Sand with Glass Beads (Pearls)

Hi,

I want to replace the Sand in my Waterco Sand Filter with Glass Pearls / Beads as this is supposed to offer better filtration and a much longer service life.

Does anyone know if I need to replace the same weight in Glass or use more/less of the beads?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Sand with Glass Beads (Pearls)

One of the manufacturers of glass filter media recommends same weight.

By the way, I think you should be using crushed glass media, not glass beads. Glass beads are for metal finishing and won't work in filters. The glass you want is crushed glass specifically made for filters.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the collective experience of the forum, nothing works markedly better than plain old sand. If you want to catch some finer stuff that you think might be getting through the filter, you could always try adding a little DE.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

We have had a number of people reporting problems with glass media. Sand is just about ideal and never needs to be changed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sand in my filter has not been changed in 38 years and it works like a champ!
    40,000 gallon, vinyl liner, sand filter, oldie but goodie, Chef for all your cooking questions!

6. Back To Top    #6

I also had a poor experience with glass but at the time I didn't know any better and the pool store I dealt with only sold glass. A little wiser now because of TFP, have completely ditched the pool store and I sourced #20 Filter sand from the local masonry supply and have no reason to ever change.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

RUN RUN RUN from Glass Media in your sand filter! FAST AS YOU CAN!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your replies!

I somehow didn't get notifications to this thread and missed all the replies.

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and changed the Sand with 0.8mm Glass Beads made for filtration after discussions with the people at Waterco. I used a generic brand of glass beads since Waterco isn't available in my area.

Hope I haven't made a huge mistake!
    Guess I'll learn soon enough..

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by manjy View Post
    Thanks for your replies!

I somehow didn't get notifications to this thread and missed all the replies.

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and changed the Sand with 0.8mm Glass Beads made for filtration after discussions with the people at Waterco. I used a generic brand of glass beads since Waterco isn't available in my area.

Hope I haven't made a huge mistake!
    Guess I'll learn soon enough..
    In my opinion it all depends on what pumps and pressures you can run...if you have a 2 speed and run really low filter pressure I bet this will not work.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    In my opinion it all depends on what pumps and pressures you can run...if you have a 2 speed and run really low filter pressure I bet this will not work.
    Hi, I have a single speed 2.5HP Waterco Suptauf Pump. This one to be exact:
    http://www.waterco.com.au/component/...-pumps/supatuf.

The working pressure was about 10 PSI.

I use borewell water which always turns reddish brown after the addition of Chlorine. It normally used to take 2-3 days of filtering and vacuuming to get rid of the Iron that had suspended out. This time I ran the filter for about 12 hours, added some alum to the overflow drain and used my robot once and the pool was sparkling clear. No idea if it was the Glass Beads, the reduced water volume (pool renovated recently and volume reduced by about 5000 gal.) or just pure luck! I did a backwash and the water that came out was a deep red.

My PH was a bit high (7.8) so I haven't added the Borax yet. This will be the first time I'm adding Borax, which I will do tonight after getting the PH down a bit.
    14000 Gal. Inground Overflow Pool with DIY Sheer Waterfall Return. Norman Robotic Pool Cleaner.
    TechnoPool PH Acid Doser. DIY Chlorine Doser. Waterco 2.5HP Pump/Filter with Glass Media (0.8mm Glass Beads).