Making a Big Splash

Big Splash

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2014
New Jersey
Hello all,

As a new pool owner and enthusist, I've been lurking this forum for about a month now. Figured it's time to make a big splash and sign up. Internet forums are still the among the most worthwhile places on the web IMO. I can tell already this one doesn't disappoint that belief. I post on forums for many of my other interests (music, motorcycles, ect.). So, I know to read first and ask questions later ;)

I feel like I'm a fairly quick learner. But, I admit the pool chemistry stuff is a bit foreign to me. Reading the pool school has helped greatly. Thank you. I took the cover off the pool 2 weeks ago and found a dark green swamp. Oh boy!!! Per pool store direction, I poured 2-4 powdered shock bags in 2x a day for the 1st week and pump going 24/7. Was disappointed with only moderate results. Water went to cloudy emerald green and progress stopped there. I also noticed the circulation through the filter went to trickle even after back washing. To complicate things further, the pressure gauge was busted. Ok, I decided to change the sand (and the pressure gauge) since I had no idea if it ever was replaced in the 10 year life of the pool. Judging by the sticky oatmeal looking soup that was the old sand, I'd say it was never changed. Water flow issue now solved.

Like most newbies I see here, I only had test strips and the pool store to get any water readings. Essentially, there was zero CYA or FC with any test in the 1st week or so. PH was in range. TA was very high as was phosphates. So, pool store recommend Green to Clean and more shocking. Now, I've been in sales for 20+ years and I could tell the store testing wasn't really meant to be "free". Hey, they gotta make a buck too (or three $$$). In business school, they call this a "loss leader". They loose money on the testing in order to profit from the suggested related sale. That said, I tried the stuff anyway and went from emerald green to slightly blue-ish green and still a murky white cloud in the mix. Still the next test was basically the same results. Ok, time to do my own research.

Based on the suggestions here and through a friend, I switched to shocking with 5 gal jugs of liquid chlorine and ordered a Taylor K-2006 test kit. While I was waiting for test kit to arrive, I poured 3 jugs in over the next day and started slowly adding in CYA since I didn't want too much by accident before testing. Got to a rich blue color but still murky. At least now, I could see the bottom. I was vacuuming the pool everyday and found it pretty good when I could now actually see the results. While there was little debris, the was lots of algae still sticking to bottom and sides. I got a bit inpatient at this point and decided to try PhosFree. I guess I didn't really need it, but it did clear up what was left in a day. Some algae came back the day after. I dumped in another LC jug and a copper based algaecide. Our liner is blue and seeing the algae isn't that easy. So the algaecide was a safety net.

Ok, I finally got the test kit also found a neat Andriod app called "Pool Pal" to log my results. I'm finding testing as much an art as it is a science. With time I'm sure I'll get more confident with procedures and therefore the results. Today's test are: Temp 72, FC 6.0, pH 6.8, TA 100, CA 100, CYA not yet to 30 but almost (black dot almost disappears), CC 26. I know the pH dropped due to adding CYA. Soda ash was added after testing. The CYA has only been there for a couple days. That reading should increase I guess as it desolves.

So, am I on the right track here? I hope so. I finally took my first big splash over the weekend. Signing up here is my second. :cool:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You are on the right track by ordering the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Would discontinue use of PhosFree and algaecides. While most algaecides offer protection in preventing algae blooms, they are completely useless on an active algae bloom. Also, for the record, we never recommend a copper-based algaecide as that adds metals to the pool and increases the risk of staining. Plain old chlorine (preferable plain unscented liquid bleach) is all you need to eradicate and prevent algae and other contaminants.

Big Splash said:
Today's test are: Temp 72, FC 6.0, pH 6.8, TA 100, CA 100, CYA not yet to 30 but almost (black dot almost disappears), CC 26.
A few questions/comments on your test results.
  1. I recommend increasing pH up to the 7.2 to 7.5 range.
  2. What is CA?
  3. Am also confused by the CC of 26...I have never heard of a CC result anywhere near that high. Hopefully, that is a typo. :)

Since you are battling a "dark green swamp", you will need to SLAM Your Pool. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry which will give you a good overview on what parameters to measure and how to adjust them based on test results. Finally, familiarize yourself with the Pool Math tool.

CA is supposed to be CH (Calcium Hardness). Stupid auto correct strikes again.

The pool is clear now. I guess i didn't make that clear before in 1st post.

The CC test is likely skewed by some amateur scientist (me) :)

After going over my test procedure, I think misstated the CC # by a decimal point. The reading should be 2.6 not 26 (13 drops times 0.2 for 25 ml test). That's much better. Will retest later when I get home. Thanks all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

New readings fwiw ;)

Temp 76 (solar cover is working)
FC dropped to 3.0 (will add more tonight)
pH still dropping to about 6.5 (hard to get acurate reading that low)
TA stayed at 100
Didn't test CH
CYA not yet over 30
CC now 0.5

Time to by some Borax I guess.

Too much too fast?

Hello all,

Pool cleared up late last week and I have been testing each day for the last 5. But now, I've hit a problem.

Backdrop...

20,000 gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, Taylor K-2006 kit.

I started adding adding CYA at the start of testing since I was getting no reading. Slowly added 3 pounds in the skimmer and was using trichlor tabs raise the amount at a controlled rate beyond that. As expected, the pH dropped as the CYA level accumulated. As of yesterday 5pm, the readings were;
Temp 76
FC 3.0
pH 6.5
TA 100
CYA still less than 30
CC 0.5

All looks pretty good (other than pH & CYA) and water nice and clear.

So, I added 15 pounds soda ash per my little pool pal Andriod app and pool calc here. I spread it all around the pool. I also added a 5 gal jug of liq chlorine. I didn't really want to add that much, but the lid was on so tight I could only get it off by prying it with a screwdriver. So I put it all in because it couldn't be reclosed.

Did another test this morning at 5am;
Temp 75
FC 5.6
pH 7.5
TA 170
CYA still below 30
CC 5.2

Came home at 5pm, pulled off the solar cover and saw a white caked layer at the bottom of the pool. I didn't notice that in the morning due to the cover being on. So, I guess I added the soda ash too quickly and stuck to the bottom. The filter ran for 1-2 hours after I put in the soda ash. I guess that wasn't long enough. I brushed it up off the bottom and now there's a cloudy mess in there.

Should I be worried? Any possible liner damage?

I took some more readings afterward;
Temp 77
FC 6.0
pH 7.2
TA 170
CYA not quite 30
CC 2.6

Thanks in advance for any help.

Splash

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.