Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intex sand pump gauge in yellow

1. Back To Top    #1

intex sand pump gauge in yellow

I have a 20x52 ultra frame interx pool with the 1600 gph sand pump and cs8110 swg.
    I only had this up for about a week.I did everything the manual said filling it with sand and backwashing
    but the gauge still reads in the yellow.If I backwash it 2 times a day it still is in the yellow on the gauge.
    Any ideas what I can do to fix this? THANKS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intex sand pump gauge in yellow

Common with the intex sand filters. Mine has always read in the yellow, just use the 25% rule, record your pressure after cleaning and when it goes up 25%, backwash it.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine reads just under the yellow when clean. I might have a needle width of green above it and I actually haven't even seen it rise any yet. I took advantage of the massive amounts of rain we had the last couple of weeks and backwashed while draining the pool back down to the preferred level. Hopefully I won't have to worry about backwashing for a while now.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine reads about a needle width above yellow.I thought I was doing something wrong the reason it was up like that but if it common I wont worry about burning it up.
    just curious but could it be the sand I could only find southern filter media. The guy at the pool supply store said it was #20 but it has nothing on the bag.Thanks for the help

5. Back To Top    #5

I would be more concerned about it being close to red. It is probably a 50 gauge.

Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

6. Back To Top    #6

You're probably right about the cheap gauges they put on these pumps.I have another quetion.After all the backwashing
    I did I have to put 2 more bags of salt in the pool.Do I run the pump only for 24 hours like I did when I first put salt in
    or being just 2 bags can I run the pump and the swg? Thanks for all the help I'm new to this and can use all the help I can get.

7. Back To Top    #7

I got the 2650 intex sand filter and mine reads a needle under yellow aswell. sometimes depending on what I have hooked up it reads a little higher. I have been up and running for about 3 weeks now and have yet to do a backwash besides the one one on first start up. I run pump for about 4hrs a day (my pool is only 15') I wont backwash untill I can see yellow under the needle on consistent basis.

I however do not use a SWG for my chlorine I use bleach. I would assume you would want to run your pump to get the new salt all mixed in good. I would also assume that if you added salt you would also need to add some stabilizer aswell....

Do you have a good test kit? might want to invest in some salt strips. or however they measure salt content
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't use a SWG either so I can't help you on that

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

My gauge doesn't seem accurate. I usually monitor the out flow on the return to see if I need to backwash. When the water pressure goes down, I know it's time to backwash. I did confirm the gauge works sometimes, I put a little DE in the other day, and watched the pressure rise. But normally, it seems like the gauge reads something different every time I turn the pump on.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I've been thinking about swapping out to a better guage. I haven't looked to see if the intex one has actual pressure markings or not. Anyone know what the pressures on the sand filter run? I've got the 1600 GPH.

I just looked at the replacement gauge on Intex's website. Looks like a 60 PSI gauge with the yellow warning area falling in the 10 to 20 PSI range and red beyond 20 PSI. I may try to find a liquid filled gauge to replace it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Finally got our pool up and running...but I have a question...my sand pump gauge is in the red - like all the way to the right even before turning it on. I've back washed and it didn't drop hardly at all. I've already added salt so I was going to turn it on to circulate the water to help the salt dissolve. Am I missing something or is to the gauge is wrong?? It's putting out a good hard flow so not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions??.
    22X56 Intex Deluxe Easy Set Round
    14" Intex Sand filter
    Intex Saltwater pump

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

The gauges go bad, a new gauge should fix it. ( it should return to zero when off.)

26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!