Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools and lost on what chemicals to add

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools and lost on what chemicals to add

I need soooo much help. I just purchased a home with a pool. I've never owned a pool. I just ordered my test kit TF100. My chlorine level seems really high and my CYA does as well. I'm a little worried at this point. What do I do? Here are my test results.

FC - free chlorine 8.5 ppm
    CC = Combined Chloramines 1
    TC= total chlorine 9.5
    PH 7.5
    TA - Total alkalinty 130
    CH - calcium hardness 250 ppm
    CYA - cyanuric acid...aka stabilizer/conditioner 100 plus maybe 140
    18K gal, IG Gunite, Sand Filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pools and lost on what chemicals to add

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming CYA is 140, the minimum FC level is 11, so don't worry about your FC level being too high. FC is either too low or just marginally acceptable (depending on the actual CYA level).

The high CYA level is a significant problem. I strongly recommend replacing water to get CYA down to around 60.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum. You are soooooooo far ahead of most by already ordering a GREAT test kit. If your cya is truly that high, you'll have to replace water. Drain and refill say a third at a time. Retest after circulating awhile after refill to make sure new is well mixed in. CC of 1 isn't good and you'll need to wait on the kit to do a proper SLAM on it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your help. It is what it is. I had a feeling that I had to drain some of it. What causes a high CYA? This way a learn what not to do. I hope I have the pool ready for a birthday party 5 days from today

5. Back To Top    #5

Never mind replying to my last post. I searched for high CYA and found my answer. Thanks again. The test kit worked great by the way! I've never used one before.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a party coming up I would certainly start draining and refilling right away, just remember refilling tends to go a lot slower. Depending on your soil conditions it can be dangerous to fully drain a pool as it can "float" out of the ground if you have a high water table. Unless you live in a very wet soil location draining 2-3 feet at a time should be safe, although it is best not to expose the bottom.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Isaac. I guess I should drain 1/3 of the pool. Is that correct?

8. Back To Top    #8

Were the test results in your first post from your TF-100 kit?

If so, did you do the dilution test for your CYA since it is over 100? It involves diluting your pool water 50/50 with tap water then using that to test. You multiply the results x 2. That way you can find out how much over 100 you are and get a good idea of how much total water you have to replace. You'll still do it in stages.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions Post #8 explains the dilution test for figuring out CYA over 100.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer