Newb Intex Skimmer Issue

Oct 15, 2012
Southern KS
So, this should be a simple fix, but even though I'm only a 3rd season pool owner, I still feel like an idiot posting this. (FYI - this is the 1st of two idiotic threads I'm starting tonight.). I did google the issue and I can't find a solution.

Simply put: I can't get my Intex pool skimmer to stay in place. I have a 15x48 Intex metal-frame pool, and the 2 plastic screws that are supposed to secure the hooked arm in place don't tighten enough to keep the skimmer in place. So, before long, I look out in my backyard and notice the whole skimmer basket/arm has floated up and is angled out of the water. Which of course causes my sand filter to run aimlessly. (This leads to my 2nd issue - tips/tricks to get my pump to cycle water immediately without me having to unscrew the plastic cover on the inlet of my pump in order to get some water/suction built up enough to start cycling it through the sand filter and back into the pool -- but that's another post.)

So, any thoughts on securing that skimmer arm tightly in place?

Thanks!

I made a simple PVC stand for mine, not a problem since. I made a post with pictures summer before last I think. Not sure if the pics are still there, the pics I tried to post recently said I exceeded file size so I probably won't be able to post new pic.

Maybe a mod can find and link to it in this post.

Or you could go with the thru the wall skimmer mod with the custom plumbing adapters. I'm happy with my intex skimmer though now that it's secure.

I have an 18' round Intex with the hanging skimmer. Initially I had some issues with it staying in place. My brother took one look at it and said "well here is your problem" and he just bore down on those clamps. Worked wonders..... I haven't had any problems since with it moving from assigned position. I think it works great and have been using it for 3 years. I have had to replace the suction hose on the bottom of it but otherwise it is the cats meow. This skimmers hangs in place even when my pool is full of rambunctious youngsters...Kids and grandkids

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same old over the wall skimmer too. Just took a lot of tightening. I have a hard time keeping it as level as I'd like but all in all it does what it's supposed to. I have been thinking about making something with pvc to hold it better cause I'm sick of the bracket. I guess at least mine stays put!

I have the same skimmer and this may tell you just how cheap I am, but I don't even have to tighten the screws anymore. Hang a garden brick from the skimmer, I use parachute cord and wrap it around the screw that adjusts the skimmers height. I know I know, and don't worry, I always take the skimmer out before company comes over.

I remember seeing the thread with the pvc to hold the skimmer. I'd like to see the pics too! Maybe you could repost them? Do you still have the pics? If you put them on photobucket you can just share them here. I'm sure there's a bunch of us that could benefit!

:)

Wow - thank you ALL so much!!! All of you had great feedback/ideas. I'm going to see which is going to work best for me for the time being. I love the idea of the Hayward skimmer, but since I just bought this one (and we have my youngest's first bday this Sunday so there'll be a BUNCH of kids in the pool) I'm going to try and make this work. I've thought about Velcro, putting a bolt through the arm & pipe/frame, etc -- but what seems to be doing ok (and i mean just ok) is that by putting a piece of rubber tubing between the screws & frame, it seems to have at least slowed down the arm movement just a little.

Don't leave the skimmer in while the kids are in the pool... You really shouldn't be running the filter while they're in there either, put it in first thing in the morning and let it get the bugs from overnight, then take it out and put it back in when your filter comes on when the sun goes down.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.