Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newb Intex Skimmer Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Newb Intex Skimmer Issue

So, this should be a simple fix, but even though I'm only a 3rd season pool owner, I still feel like an idiot posting this. (FYI - this is the 1st of two idiotic threads I'm starting tonight.). I did google the issue and I can't find a solution.

Simply put: I can't get my Intex pool skimmer to stay in place. I have a 15x48 Intex metal-frame pool, and the 2 plastic screws that are supposed to secure the hooked arm in place don't tighten enough to keep the skimmer in place. So, before long, I look out in my backyard and notice the whole skimmer basket/arm has floated up and is angled out of the water. Which of course causes my sand filter to run aimlessly. (This leads to my 2nd issue - tips/tricks to get my pump to cycle water immediately without me having to unscrew the plastic cover on the inlet of my pump in order to get some water/suction built up enough to start cycling it through the sand filter and back into the pool -- but that's another post.)

So, any thoughts on securing that skimmer arm tightly in place?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newb Intex Skimmer Issue

I made a simple PVC stand for mine, not a problem since. I made a post with pictures summer before last I think. Not sure if the pics are still there, the pics I tried to post recently said I exceeded file size so I probably won't be able to post new pic.

Maybe a mod can find and link to it in this post.

Or you could go with the thru the wall skimmer mod with the custom plumbing adapters. I'm happy with my intex skimmer though now that it's secure.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I'll try and find your post to see what you're talking about.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You could always do what many others have done and that's install a through the wall skimmer for it...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    You could always do what many others have done and that's install a through the wall skimmer for it...
    Yeah, except I've tried another project involving cutting a liner, and it makes me REALLY nervous. Especially effectively sealing where the cut was made AND making it look nice.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Use the search function and you'll find most intex pools users on here, have them... http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1091...e+wall+skimmer

They actually look better than the over the wall skimmers, which unfortunately do have a tendency to have the arms break off them.... Just food for thought...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, I think you'll find that not many people here use the intex floating skimmer, but instead install the hayward through the wall skimmer. It works very well. find jcp's post if you want to try to get the intex skimmer to work.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

The Hayward skimmers come with a specially purposed gasket that is one piece.... You use the faceplate as a guide from the inside, cut your liner, insert the gasket, and then just assemble the unit as directed...

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    The Hayward skimmers come with a specially purposed gasket that is one piece.... You use the faceplate as a guide from the inside, cut your liner, insert the gasket, and then just assemble the unit as directed...
    Sweet! I'll look into it! Thanks a lot!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have an 18' round Intex with the hanging skimmer. Initially I had some issues with it staying in place. My brother took one look at it and said "well here is your problem" and he just bore down on those clamps. Worked wonders..... I haven't had any problems since with it moving from assigned position. I think it works great and have been using it for 3 years. I have had to replace the suction hose on the bottom of it but otherwise it is the cats meow. This skimmers hangs in place even when my pool is full of rambunctious youngsters...Kids and grandkids
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the same old over the wall skimmer too. Just took a lot of tightening. I have a hard time keeping it as level as I'd like but all in all it does what it's supposed to. I have been thinking about making something with pvc to hold it better cause I'm sick of the bracket. I guess at least mine stays put!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

I have the same skimmer and this may tell you just how cheap I am, but I don't even have to tighten the screws anymore. Hang a garden brick from the skimmer, I use parachute cord and wrap it around the screw that adjusts the skimmers height. I know I know, and don't worry, I always take the skimmer out before company comes over.
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame, 6,423gal, 1500gph Cartridge, SWG, Setup June 2013.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you'd like to PM me your email address, I can send you pics of what I did with mine. I looked up my old posts and I'm pretty sure the pics are gone.

14. Back To Top    #14

I remember seeing the thread with the pvc to hold the skimmer. I'd like to see the pics too! Maybe you could repost them? Do you still have the pics? If you put them on photobucket you can just share them here. I'm sure there's a bunch of us that could benefit!

18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

15. Back To Top    #15

What I have done for the past few years (Ialso had the same problem) is I put spacers behind the plastic set screwws and a bungee wrapped very very tight and it has worked for me. Good Luck

16. Back To Top    #16

Wow - thank you ALL so much!!! All of you had great feedback/ideas. I'm going to see which is going to work best for me for the time being. I love the idea of the Hayward skimmer, but since I just bought this one (and we have my youngest's first bday this Sunday so there'll be a BUNCH of kids in the pool) I'm going to try and make this work. I've thought about Velcro, putting a bolt through the arm & pipe/frame, etc -- but what seems to be doing ok (and i mean just ok) is that by putting a piece of rubber tubing between the screws & frame, it seems to have at least slowed down the arm movement just a little.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Don't leave the skimmer in while the kids are in the pool... You really shouldn't be running the filter while they're in there either, put it in first thing in the morning and let it get the bugs from overnight, then take it out and put it back in when your filter comes on when the sun goes down....