Test results are in....now I need advice on what to do

Got my test kit and got the following results:

FC: .5
    CC: .5
    TC: 1.0
    PH: 7.2
    Alk: 130
    CYA: 20

I have been putting 1 121 oz jug of 8.25 bleach in everyday for about 3 or 4 days until my test kit came.

I need chlorine and CYA bad I think????

Any suggestions? I am about to plug it in poolmath and see what it says.

Thanks!

Sam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results are in....now I need advice on what to do

Suggest you put your pool and equipment details in your signature. Yes, you need to increase your fc and cya. How much to add, we cant tell until we have those specs.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, size and equipment makes a difference. CYA targets are different of you have a SWG.

Is the water still clear? No algae patches growing anywhere? No dust bunnies on the floor that disappear in a poof when you get near them with the brush?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, sorry about that....got it in the sig now...I think.

Pool is still pretty clear, there is still some fuzzy stuff on bottom, mostly around edges.

I just dumped another 121oz of 8.25% bleach in tonight (after test)

The pool has a LOT of trees around it, not sure if that will have an effect on where I need to keep my chemistry.

- - - Updated - - -

Signature didn't take.....try 2...sorry

- - - Updated - - -

30' Above Ground Pool-approximate 4' deep 20,000 gallons (Watson's)-lots of trees
    1.5 HP pump/motor (High/Low) 175 SQ FT Cartridge Filter
    AQUA SMARTE Chlorine System - not active

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, on the Chlorine test it was BARELY pink so not sure it's even .5
    30' Above Ground Pool-approximate 4' deep 20,000 gallons (Watson's)-lots of trees
    1.5 HP motor (High 16amp/Low 4.8amp) Waterway pump, 175 SQ FT Cartridge Filter
    AQUA SMARTE Chlorine/mineral System - not active

6. Back To Top    #6

Any suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7

Which chlorine test are you using? The one where you match the colors, or the one where you mix a powder and count drops? If the powder, it should start bright pink and go clear as you add drops.

Do you have a specific question? Yes, you need to keep chlorine in the pool. How much depends on the CYA level.

If all the algae is gone, the CYA level needs to come up to about 40 if you use bleach, 70 or so if you have a saltwater generator. If there is still some algae, you will need to SLAM to kill it all first, then raise CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I did both, but I got my reading from the drop test. It was barely pink so I would think it would be more like .2 or.3 on the chlorine. This pool is eating chlorine, according to the poolmath i should be able to add 90oz and raise the FC by 2.5, but that never happens even when I add 121oz.

Based on what I have deducted from my reading on here I am thinking i need to keep the pool at a shock level, like 7.0 and scrub the sides and bottom and vacuum for a day or two to make sure i get all the Algae out??

Does this sound right? Is the algae gobbling up my chlorine? The pool isn't turning green but I do still have some of the "dust bunnies" on the bottom and maybe on the sides at the bottom.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. you need to go to Shock Level And Maintain it. SLAM.

You will go through bleach at an alarming rate the first day or two killing off whatever's eating it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Is it safe to get in the pool to clean at shock level?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by BLUR2U View Post
    Is it safe to get in the pool to clean at shock level?
    It's safe at anything just below shock level. If you do go in at or slightly above shock level, you might get some skin irritation, depending on your sensitivities. It may also bleach your suit or whatever clothes you have on at that level so either let it drop JUST below shock level or wear stuff you don't like, strip down and rinse off very well after.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons