Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help with water analysis

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie needs help with water analysis

Hi all Thanks in advance, I opened my pool this year with well water , I shocked the pool and the water turned like a brown / green , then I added metal out as per the required gallons of pool water , within 24 hrs. the water cleared up completely. Vacuming and flushing the de filter and reloading the water is still clear . While waiting for my TF-100 kit to arrive I took a sample to my local Leslies pool center and here are their results :
    Leslies:
    FAC=4
    TAC=4
    PH=8
    TA=80
    CYA=0
    CH=120
    TDS=500
    they had me add 2Gal of conditioner (Stabilizer) good for 20,000gal

My TF100 test kit arrived today and here are My results :

PH=7.2/7.3
    CL=3 to 4
    Chlorine drop test =4
    CC=0
    CH=125ppm
    TA=200
    CYA=almost 50
    Water is sparkling clear.

What now ?
    On the pool Math what is borates ?
    How do you measure borates ?
    How do they come into play with the other readings ?
    Am I completely off base ?

any help is completely appreciated in breaking ties with the box stores ,
    thanks Rich
    Last edited by rcorcich; 06-02-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: adding info
    27' Round AG Pool 54" Tall, saucered out about 6" , Approx. 21,500 Gallons. Hayward EC65A Perflex DE filter. ProLine SK P712-2H Pump on a Century Laser Pool/Spa Motor By AO Smith 2.0 / .25 2-Speed 120v . Zodiac Nature 2 with a A30 / W28165 Mineral Cartridge. Pool build 12 yrs. old . Vinyl liner , pump and motor and DE filter 2yrs old .Nature 2 cartridge replaced every season .Replenished all by Well Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie needs help with water analysis

How many times did you do your own test? I would be more inclined to go with your results rather than the pool store.... Borates.... Do you have any dogs or pets or small children that drink the water? If so, hold off on adding borates.... Borates are an optional enhancement that helps control PH drift, keeps algae in check, and provides various subjective water quality/feel improvements. If you are not intentionally using borates there is no need to test for them. When using borates, the recommended level is between 30 and 50 ppm.

Here's the thread you want to read....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ol-Why-and-How

And welcome to TFP...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Rich. Welcome to TFP.

Since your CYA is already 50, do not use any stabilized chlorine such as tablets or powder shock with dichlor. You're at the max and you should stick with liquids.

Since you are just beginning, I would urge you to disregard the borates for now until you get to know your pool a little better. The borates can be used as an algaecide to keep algae at bay and gives the water a cleaner, clearer appearance. They are not necessary atm or if ever. Borates can be measured with test strips specifically for borates. If you have cats or dogs who like to drink from the pool, they should not be intro'ed because they can poison the animal.

Keep your chlorine between 4ppm-6ppm.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

I'd just leave it where it is and go swimming. Don't forget that the chlorine will go down every day. You've got another mouth to feed!

Borates and salt for feel are totally optional, and I don't bother with either.

Next time you test TA, wipe the tip with a damp paper towel. You could have some static electricity on the bottle since it's fresh. It will make the drops smaller so the TA reads artificially high.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I took my time and tested the water once following the directions that came with the kit,
    No one will intentionaly drinks the water and animals don't have access to it, I would rather not go there if no need too . I would like to nail the basics down first.
    How do the test results look ,?
    what would you recommend in adjusting the results to optimum

thanks Rich
    27' Round AG Pool 54" Tall, saucered out about 6" , Approx. 21,500 Gallons. Hayward EC65A Perflex DE filter. ProLine SK P712-2H Pump on a Century Laser Pool/Spa Motor By AO Smith 2.0 / .25 2-Speed 120v . Zodiac Nature 2 with a A30 / W28165 Mineral Cartridge. Pool build 12 yrs. old . Vinyl liner , pump and motor and DE filter 2yrs old .Nature 2 cartridge replaced every season .Replenished all by Well Water.

6. Back To Top    #6

So should I just enter my test results into the pool math and adjust accordingly to the recommendations ?
    Rich

7. Back To Top    #7

Bring your FC up to 6 n go swimming. Your test results are good.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all very much for your time and experience ,

Rich

9. Back To Top    #9

You are so welcome! If you ever have questions, issues or anything, just ask and we'll be here to help.

10. Back To Top    #10

I wanted to liquid Clorox bleach to raise my FC to 6 , but the wife only has concentrated Clorox bleach, at 6% it says to add 89 oz , at 8.25% it says to add 65oz , does anyone know what the concentrated Clorox bleach is rated at. I have 55oz of concentrated , should I just it all in ??

Rich

11. Back To Top    #11

Clorox is 8.25%

If it says High-Efficiency, don't use it. It has some thickeners in it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

nope just says concentrated ? but don't give a percentage , cant find the info on their web site , my luck .... will a little to much hurt ??

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by rcorcich View Post
    nope just says concentrated ? but don't give a percentage , cant find the info on their web site , my luck .... will a little to much hurt ??
    It's 8.25%. A few ounces extra won't hurt, but remember, if you use it all up, you'll have to buy your wife a new jug.

14. Back To Top    #14

It won't hurt.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    It's 8.25%. A few ounces extra won't hurt, but remember, if you use it all up, you'll have to buy your wife a new jug.
    Thanks , DW and I just got a good laugh,

Rich

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I use 12.5%
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Clorox is 8.25%

If it says High-Efficiency, don't use it. It has some thickeners in it.

The bleach I have says for standard AND high efficiency machines.....so this doesn't have thickeners, correct?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish View Post
    The bleach I have says for standard AND high efficiency machines.....so this doesn't have thickeners, correct?
    If it looks like this, you don't want it. The thickeners will probably mess up your chemistry.

http://www.clorox.com/products/cloro...u2t89PHePw_wcB

19. Back To Top    #19

It doesn't look like that.....it says "For standard and HE machines"
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

20. Back To Top    #20

You HAVE to be kidding me! I have been using Clorox from Sam's Club and I can't get my FC to slam levels. I just bought my 30 more jugs of the stuff (after using 60) and NOW I find out it's the wrong stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast