Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from New Member

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from New Member

Loving TFP!
    Bought our house almost a year ago, green swamp included. Took a few weeks to get the water clear and (mostly) balanced, but I have been able to handle nearly any task with the help of TFP and YouTube since then.
    When I finally got the pool clear we noticed a very noticeable concrete patch on the bottom of the pool and a crackled/spotty surface, I'm sure that's why the investor we bought the house from kept the pool green. It seems as though (the years? of) neglect was not kind to the pool's surface as it is pitted and sand papery (especially on soggy toes!), I assume the levels of alkalinity and hardness being out of whack for who knows how long caused it.

Anyone have any insight into what resurfacing is going to cost? I'm in Los Angeles County.
    17.5k gallon, 30'x16'x5.5', in ground plaster, 1hp Purex WhisperFlow pump, 48sf Purex FNS Plus DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from New Member

Welcome to TFP!!!

Costs will vary considerably from plan white plaster to pebble finishes and whether you are replacing tile as well. Start calling around and getting quotes.

I would guess between $5-10k
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks jblizzle,

About what I was expecting, if it gets done this year it won't be 'til the fall, I'll post quotes and pics then. I'm a fan of the more traditional white plaster, it reminds of summer as a kid. I'll probably be doing the tiles and coping as well.

Out of curiosity any thoughts on painting a plaster pool?
    17.5k gallon, 30'x16'x5.5', in ground plaster, 1hp Purex WhisperFlow pump, 48sf Purex FNS Plus DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If you search the forum, you'll find that very few people have luck wih painting a pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Painting just changes the color, the texture well be similar and it likely will only last a couple years at best.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!