Do DE Filters Require Multiport Valves?

Jun 2, 2014
Goldsboro
So I have a multiport valve for a hayward sand filter which I pictured below. My question is, is it compatible, and even if it is, do I need it? Everything I've been reading on how my filter works, makes it seem option. I put a link to a picture of my filter below. I recently bought a 50 year old home and the sand filter here, hayward s200 is extremely old, so I decided to change it out.

Now I'm just not sure if I should the multiport valve or get rid of it.

View attachment 30150

View attachment 30150

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-EC40AC-Perflex-Extended-Cycle-Filter/dp/B000EVSUK2

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You will want to have a backwash valve so you do not need to tear the filter down every time it needs to be cleaned, but a full multi-port is not necessarily required (but is a nice to have).

Sand and DE valves are not compatible.

You are correct. For that model of DE filter no multi-port valve is required. You "bump" the filter with the pump handle on top to knock the DE off the fingers and re-distribute it within the filter. It buys you a little time (in my experience very little time) before you have to open up the filter and hose everything off.

Very familiar with those filters and they work great... except when you are vacuuming after a spring swamp. I would get a multiport valve in between the pump and filter so that you can use a "recirculate" setting and vacuum to "waste" because those things are total brats and clog fast and you'll go through a lot of DE quickly. I have several clients who have them and only one has a vac to waste valve. Can be a real pain, just sayin. Not sure where Goldsboro is but if you think your pool will get green over the winter - I'd install a compatible multiport valve.

Just to clarify here, the Perflex bump style DE filters can and do get backwashed, and you don't have to open them up every time you change DE. The stock filter comes with a backwash plug, which can easily be switched out for a basic 1 way valve. For my pool, which is indoors so catches a bit less debris, but still more than one might suspect, I generally do a full backwash and DE replacement twice per year, before and after swim season, although I could probably stretch that time out by a couple of months, and just bump during the season, we a full breakdown and cleaning of the filter about once every 2 years. The key difference here is backwashing does not require reversing the water flow through the filter, instead it is just opening the DE chamber up to a drain port while running under normal circulation, on mine I usually cycle the pump a few times to allow the filter to fill up and drain out the backwash port repeatedly, then recoat using the 90% rule.

Ike

Very familiar with those filters and they work great... except when you are vacuuming after a spring swamp. I would get a multiport valve in between the pump and filter so that you can use a "recirculate" setting and vacuum to "waste" because those things are total brats and clog fast and you'll go through a lot of DE quickly. I have several clients who have them and only one has a vac to waste valve. Can be a real pain, just sayin. Not sure where Goldsboro is but if you think your pool will get green over the winter - I'd install a compatible multiport valve.

Goldsboro is in NC. If the only reason I need a multi-port valve is to waste, couldn't I simply make a PVC pipe that runs into my garden or somewhere and open that valve up to waste, and then close that valve off when I need to filter? It sounds a lot cheaper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Goldsboro is in NC. If the only reason I need a multi-port valve is to waste, couldn't I simply make a PVC pipe that runs into my garden or somewhere and open that valve up to waste, and then close that valve off when I need to filter? It sounds a lot cheaper.
You are correct. You could put a T in between the pump and the filter with a hose bibb and use that to lower the pool level for just a couple bucks.

Would it make sense if both of the two PVC pipes coming out of my valve went back to pool (I do have two jets on the shallow end, perhaps one pipe for each)?

I know the top left comes from the pump.

Maybe the bottom left is a return as is the bottom right? Does that sound right?

You should have 5 ports. pump to valve, valve to filter in, filter out to valve, valve back to pool, and waste.

A multiport is more complicated than a slide valve, but I don;t have a drawing of one of them. But waste would be in from pool and out to waste.
attachment.php

photo 2 (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

photo 1 (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I'm talking about. If you look at the 2 pics above, I have two pvc pipes going into my valve on the left and 1 going in to the right.

I know the top left is where unfiltered water enters from the filter. I'm not certain about the left and the right. I believe both are returns that go to the 2 jets in the shallow end, but I'm not certain.

Yes, that's fine but what I'm talking about that is just as valuable is "recirculate". I utilize it on every pool that has a multiport, and the ones that don't I use a portable submersible pump. It may just be my perception but I've found in DE filters that live algae clogs faster than dead algae, which drops to the bottom of the pool. So I filter on recirculate or with a portable, I balance, SLAM and when I can see the dead stuff drop to the bottom and clarity returns, I vacuum to waste whenever possible and begin filtration. You still go through a lot of DE but I've found I go through a lot less using this method.

So, I put the water hose in to see where each PVC pipe leads. The results? Both my return and my skimmer are clogged.

This is probably what killed my pump. I tried a drain bladder, but no luck. I'm pretty sure the skimmer clog is from stabilizer, idk about the return clog.

Any advise? I've not hooked up the pump or DE filter yet, and I'm thinking about pouring a ton of sulfuric acid down the pipes.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.