Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do DE Filters Require Multiport Valves?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do DE Filters Require Multiport Valves?

So I have a multiport valve for a hayward sand filter which I pictured below. My question is, is it compatible, and even if it is, do I need it? Everything I've been reading on how my filter works, makes it seem option. I put a link to a picture of my filter below. I recently bought a 50 year old home and the sand filter here, hayward s200 is extremely old, so I decided to change it out.

Now I'm just not sure if I should the multiport valve or get rid of it.

Attachment 30150

Attachment 30150

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-EC40AC.../dp/B000EVSUK2
    21k, IG vinyl liner, Hayward ec40 de filter, 1hp 1 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do DE Filters Require Multiport Valves?

Welcome to TFP!!!

You will want to have a backwash valve so you do not need to tear the filter down every time it needs to be cleaned, but a full multi-port is not necessarily required (but is a nice to have).

Sand and DE valves are not compatible.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That is a bump-style DE filter. They don't get backwashed. Check the manual.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, there you go ... I did not open the links
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Therefore no valve is needed, correct? I'm sorry, I read the manual before postin here. And reading it, it did not sound like a needed a multiport valve.

I just wanted to verify that.

6. Back To Top    #6

You are correct. For that model of DE filter no multi-port valve is required. You "bump" the filter with the pump handle on top to knock the DE off the fingers and re-distribute it within the filter. It buys you a little time (in my experience very little time) before you have to open up the filter and hose everything off.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Very familiar with those filters and they work great... except when you are vacuuming after a spring swamp. I would get a multiport valve in between the pump and filter so that you can use a "recirculate" setting and vacuum to "waste" because those things are total brats and clog fast and you'll go through a lot of DE quickly. I have several clients who have them and only one has a vac to waste valve. Can be a real pain, just sayin. Not sure where Goldsboro is but if you think your pool will get green over the winter - I'd install a compatible multiport valve.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Just to clarify here, the Perflex bump style DE filters can and do get backwashed, and you don't have to open them up every time you change DE. The stock filter comes with a backwash plug, which can easily be switched out for a basic 1 way valve. For my pool, which is indoors so catches a bit less debris, but still more than one might suspect, I generally do a full backwash and DE replacement twice per year, before and after swim season, although I could probably stretch that time out by a couple of months, and just bump during the season, we a full breakdown and cleaning of the filter about once every 2 years. The key difference here is backwashing does not require reversing the water flow through the filter, instead it is just opening the DE chamber up to a drain port while running under normal circulation, on mine I usually cycle the pump a few times to allow the filter to fill up and drain out the backwash port repeatedly, then recoat using the 90% rule.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

"backwash" isn't the correct word to use with this type of filter. The water flow is not reversed, and the outlet is called a "drain" rather than a "backwash" port.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    Very familiar with those filters and they work great... except when you are vacuuming after a spring swamp. I would get a multiport valve in between the pump and filter so that you can use a "recirculate" setting and vacuum to "waste" because those things are total brats and clog fast and you'll go through a lot of DE quickly. I have several clients who have them and only one has a vac to waste valve. Can be a real pain, just sayin. Not sure where Goldsboro is but if you think your pool will get green over the winter - I'd install a compatible multiport valve.
    Goldsboro is in NC. If the only reason I need a multi-port valve is to waste, couldn't I simply make a PVC pipe that runs into my garden or somewhere and open that valve up to waste, and then close that valve off when I need to filter? It sounds a lot cheaper.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8188 View Post
    Goldsboro is in NC. If the only reason I need a multi-port valve is to waste, couldn't I simply make a PVC pipe that runs into my garden or somewhere and open that valve up to waste, and then close that valve off when I need to filter? It sounds a lot cheaper.
    You are correct. You could put a T in between the pump and the filter with a hose bibb and use that to lower the pool level for just a couple bucks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen.

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay, next issue. I don't know which pipe leads where from my multiport valve.

I know the top left is where water goes in from the pump. I assume the right is the return to the pool? But what's the left side?

14. Back To Top    #14

Would it make sense if both of the two PVC pipes coming out of my valve went back to pool (I do have two jets on the shallow end, perhaps one pipe for each)?

I know the top left comes from the pump.

Maybe the bottom left is a return as is the bottom right? Does that sound right?

15. Back To Top    #15

You should have 5 ports. pump to valve, valve to filter in, filter out to valve, valve back to pool, and waste.

A multiport is more complicated than a slide valve, but I don;t have a drawing of one of them. But waste would be in from pool and out to waste.

16. Back To Top    #16

photo 2 (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

photo 1 (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I'm talking about. If you look at the 2 pics above, I have two pvc pipes going into my valve on the left and 1 going in to the right.

I know the top left is where unfiltered water enters from the filter. I'm not certain about the left and the right. I believe both are returns that go to the 2 jets in the shallow end, but I'm not certain.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8188 View Post
    Yes, that's fine but what I'm talking about that is just as valuable is "recirculate". I utilize it on every pool that has a multiport, and the ones that don't I use a portable submersible pump. It may just be my perception but I've found in DE filters that live algae clogs faster than dead algae, which drops to the bottom of the pool. So I filter on recirculate or with a portable, I balance, SLAM and when I can see the dead stuff drop to the bottom and clarity returns, I vacuum to waste whenever possible and begin filtration. You still go through a lot of DE but I've found I go through a lot less using this method.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

18. Back To Top    #18

The parts diagram shows the ports as being labelled. http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Part...ort-Valves.pdf

19. Back To Top    #19

So, I put the water hose in to see where each PVC pipe leads. The results? Both my return and my skimmer are clogged.

This is probably what killed my pump. I tried a drain bladder, but no luck. I'm pretty sure the skimmer clog is from stabilizer, idk about the return clog.

Any advise? I've not hooked up the pump or DE filter yet, and I'm thinking about pouring a ton of sulfuric acid down the pipes.

Any thoughts?