Pool Stored afterall....

northrn

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
:(

I suppose I have always done things in reverse order (i.e. bought and had a pool installed THEN decided to learn about how to care for it.) Long story short...I have ended up with a SWG that is a copper ion generating machine. Selling point was "ease of use and less daily maintenance." Ugh. One week after installation, copper registered 0.4 ppm and today was 0.7 ppm. (Had to stop by the pool store for muriatic acid and on a whim decided to see how close their results are to mine so I took in a sample...LOL) I don't see that number stopping as long as the generator continues to run. So far, we have had no adverse effects from the copper (staining or green hair).

I have turned the generator off for the moment. I've searched the forums and learned that the copper thingy can be disconnected.

How then does the SWG work to produce low levels chlorine?

I use TF-100 and my current results are:

FC 5 (full sun 12 hours daily)
CC 0
CH 200
TA 90 (currently doing some muriatic acid and aeration to lower just a smidge)
CYA 60 (got another sock hanging to raise that a little)
pH 7.2 (see TA reference)
salt 2000
Water appearance: clear and sparkly

This is the set up that I was suckered into buying: Simple Blue youtube

LOL...no, I only trust my own results. Surprise was they were very close. That's what bothers me.

And my pool guy (super nice) didn't try to sell me anything. He's aware of my views and we agree to disagree. I don't ask his advice and he doesn't offer. He sells me pool chlorine, acid, and floaties. LOL

But now I'm at a loss as to what my next step needs to be. Take the SWG out altogether? I do like the idea of constantly making a low level chlorine. Can this generator cell copper thingy be disconnected? And if so, will I still get the chlorine effect without adding copper or just the softer feel of having salt water in general?

It looks like it doesn't generate enough FC.

Check the webpage. http://mysimplesalt.com/

Shock is necessary with any pool maintenance program. Shimmer combines two of the most effective ingredients in water treatment, Calcium Hypochlorite and Sodium Tetra Borate. Calcium Hypochlorite is a fast acting, short-lived bacteria stat. It is used as an oxidizing agent that strips away harsh chloramines without leaving a high chlorine residual. The calcium in this weekly shock replenishes calcium leaving the pool through splash out and prevents corrosion of vital pool equipment. Adding a small dose of Sodium Tetra Borate on a weekly basis ensures that your pool stays algae-free due to the lack of carbon dioxide in the water. Sodium Tetra Borate is also used as a water softening salt. It keeps your water silky smooth while also shimmering clear and does not irritate the skin or eyes. By using these highly efficient chemicals we are greatly reducing the time spent treating the pool water.

Well, you've made your choice...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what do I consider myself now? SWG since there is still salt in the water or jug dumper? (thanks for the term, Richard)

I haven't had a problem with staining or MY hair. But I have several friends with blond hair and I would seriously hate to have them over for swim time only to have their hair turn green. I have decided to use the Jack's Magic to sequester this nonsense until I can drain and refill to get rid of the copper.

Should I use the Purple Stuff or the Blue Stuff or the Vinyl Liner Blue Stuff Too? I'm not concerned with damage to the salt cell as that piece will be removed soon.

Thanks for all your assistance!

~Sheila

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.