Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Stored afterall....

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Pool Stored afterall....

I suppose I have always done things in reverse order (i.e. bought and had a pool installed THEN decided to learn about how to care for it.) Long story short...I have ended up with a SWG that is a copper ion generating machine. Selling point was "ease of use and less daily maintenance." Ugh. One week after installation, copper registered 0.4 ppm and today was 0.7 ppm. (Had to stop by the pool store for muriatic acid and on a whim decided to see how close their results are to mine so I took in a sample...LOL) I don't see that number stopping as long as the generator continues to run. So far, we have had no adverse effects from the copper (staining or green hair).

I have turned the generator off for the moment. I've searched the forums and learned that the copper thingy can be disconnected.

How then does the SWG work to produce low levels chlorine?

I use TF-100 and my current results are:

FC 5 (full sun 12 hours daily)
    CC 0
    CH 200
    TA 90 (currently doing some muriatic acid and aeration to lower just a smidge)
    CYA 60 (got another sock hanging to raise that a little)
    pH 7.2 (see TA reference)
    salt 2000
    Water appearance: clear and sparkly

This is the set up that I was suckered into buying: Simple Blue youtube
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Stored afterall....

The good news is, I wouldn't trust the pool store's Copper reading any more than I'd trust the others. Did they try to sell you some sequestrant?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL...no, I only trust my own results. Surprise was they were very close. That's what bothers me.

And my pool guy (super nice) didn't try to sell me anything. He's aware of my views and we agree to disagree. I don't ask his advice and he doesn't offer. He sells me pool chlorine, acid, and floaties. LOL

But now I'm at a loss as to what my next step needs to be. Take the SWG out altogether? I do like the idea of constantly making a low level chlorine. Can this generator cell copper thingy be disconnected? And if so, will I still get the chlorine effect without adding copper or just the softer feel of having salt water in general?

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks like it doesn't generate enough FC.

Check the webpage. http://mysimplesalt.com/

Shock is necessary with any pool maintenance program. Shimmer combines two of the most effective ingredients in water treatment, Calcium Hypochlorite and Sodium Tetra Borate. Calcium Hypochlorite is a fast acting, short-lived bacteria stat. It is used as an oxidizing agent that strips away harsh chloramines without leaving a high chlorine residual. The calcium in this weekly shock replenishes calcium leaving the pool through splash out and prevents corrosion of vital pool equipment. Adding a small dose of Sodium Tetra Borate on a weekly basis ensures that your pool stays algae-free due to the lack of carbon dioxide in the water. Sodium Tetra Borate is also used as a water softening salt. It keeps your water silky smooth while also shimmering clear and does not irritate the skin or eyes. By using these highly efficient chemicals we are greatly reducing the time spent treating the pool water.
    Well, you've made your choice...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Shock is necessary with any pool maintenance program
    Except for all of us that never shock.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Well.

Thanks Richard! Off to forum search for a real SWG. I'm not pool supply brand knowledgeable. Any direction would be appreciated.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    Well.

Thanks Richard! Off to forum search for a real SWG. I'm not pool supply brand knowledgeable. Any direction would be appreciated.
    I can't help, there. I'm a jug-dumper.

8. Back To Top    #8

It appears that is what I am from here on out as well.

Pass the jug.

9. Back To Top    #9

Look for any name brand SWGs. Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, Compupool, Autopilot, Circupool, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Also we suggest in oversizing SWG's , if your pool is 20,000 gallons look at the SWG's rated in the 40,000 gallon ballpark range
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

So what do I consider myself now? SWG since there is still salt in the water or jug dumper? (thanks for the term, Richard)

I haven't had a problem with staining or MY hair. But I have several friends with blond hair and I would seriously hate to have them over for swim time only to have their hair turn green. I have decided to use the Jack's Magic to sequester this nonsense until I can drain and refill to get rid of the copper.

Should I use the Purple Stuff or the Blue Stuff or the Vinyl Liner Blue Stuff Too? I'm not concerned with damage to the salt cell as that piece will be removed soon.

Thanks for all your assistance!

~Sheila