Ok here's a weird one

Be happy that it is intake and not output!

I used to have a lab who loved the water (not all labs do by the way). She loved one of those plastic kiddie pools from your local Wal Mart / KMart / Target / etc as she could splash around to her heart's content and cool off. She loved so much though that she would wear one out in about 3 - 4 weeks. We then tried a double wide, #3 wash tub partially filled with water. Have you tried either of those solutions? Just be sure to keep a good supply of water in whatever you try.

A trip down memory lane....

Attachments

• kiddie pool.jpg
    kiddie pool.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 147
  • numb 3 washtub.jpg
    numb 3 washtub.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 147
Can you post a set of test numbers on your water? If you have a high CYA, use borates, or a high chlorine number, your dog (and their kidneys) would be better off NOT drinking out of the pool.
As cute as it may be, it's really not in their best interest health wise.

Same thing with my 2 Weimaraners. Once the pool is opened, and the water is clean, it becomes their never ending water bowl. Even though we put down fresh water throughout the day, when they are thirsty they'll whine to go outside and drink from the pool. They've been doing this since they were pups, and they are now 10 and 13. Interestingly enough, while I'm cleaning up the algae that grew over the winter they won't drink the water, nor will they swim in it. After about a week though, the pool is theirs.

I too was concerned about the long term health ramifications of this routine, but my water is usually very controlled. I keep my free chlorine at 2-3 ppm, my cya is never really that high either. I joke with my wife that it's probably safer to drink the pool water than our unfiltered tap water.

I tried to train them to not use the pool as a drinking water source, but they can be pretty stubborn dogs. Good luck.

Tom

I have 3 schnauzers that hang over the edge of the pool to drink out of it. They walk right past the water bowls to drink out of the pool. They all hate being in the pool but they all love to drink out of it. So do the squirrels. Our squirrels have gotten so brazen that they will come to the edge to drink while we are in the pool. If you figure out some way to get them to stop let me know.

I have 3 schnauzers that hang over the edge of the pool to drink out of it. They walk right past the water bowls to drink out of the pool. They all hate being in the pool but they all love to drink out of it. So do the squirrels. Our squirrels have gotten so brazen that they will come to the edge to drink while we are in the pool. If you figure out some way to get them to stop let me know.

Ummm, keep the dogs out:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.