Problems opening pool - confused!

Andys

Mar 8, 2014
Illinois
Hello, I am a newbie that bought our pool at the beginning of last year and used BBB all summer without any issues. But this year opening it I am having problems getting the water clear...

It was pretty dirty when opening it (it was dirty when I closed it, which is a mistake I won't make again!) but after cleaning most of the leaves etc out and SLAMing it, it was starting to clear - I could see the bottom OK, and it was getting better each day. I did an OCLT and it had dropped 0.5. The CC's were also <0.5 so I thought I was OK to let the FC drop to normal. At the same time, I had also bought a Dolphin cleaner this year which I started to use last week to help clean up the remaining dirt. This made the water cloudier, but I thought it was just stirring things up a little.

I stopped using the Dolphin on Thursday last week, but this past weekend I am now sure the water is getting worse not better, and starting to look green instead of just cloudy. I thought I must have algae, so I started SLAMing it again on Sunday, but I have again tested the OCLT last night and this time the drop was 0 (and I did remember to turn off the Liquidator by the way!). The CC's are still 0.5.

So I am confused. Is it possible to have algae and yet PASS the OCLT and have CC's <0.5?

Or is there something else wrong?

The full test results are:

FC - 24.5 (SLAM level)
PH - 7.2 (I lowered it to this prior to SLAMing)
CC - <0.5
CYA - 60
TA - 210 (this is due to the water used to refill. Last year I started off at 260 and lowered it using MA / aeration)

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Yes. it's possible. You missed the third test: "The water is clear." That's not just the water, that's also the walls and the floor. Check the hiding places - behind steps, inside ladders, under ladder rungs, behind the light. Algae is sort of like a yeast. It reproduces fast, so even a tiny bit can grow really fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.