Margaret T. Coleman

I have a 35,000 gallon vinyl liner pool. It will not maintain a chlorine level. It's been shocked several times with as much as 13 bags of chlorine at a time. I have even used chlorine free shock one day and then chlorine shock the following day with the same result. Water test shows: FC: 0 TC: 0 Calcium hardness: 220 CYA: 40 Total Alkalinity: 80 pH: 7.4 Copper: 0 Iron: 0 Total Dissolved Solids: 1000 Phosphates: 100 I have had the water tested at two pool supply stores and the results are the same. They offered a few suggestions which I did and yet the results are the same. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live in Churchville, PA. a mostly residential neighborhood.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Pool store test results are generally not accurate and designed to get you in the store to sell you expensive products that may or may not fix your pool and can and usually cause more problems for your pool.

If you're going to look for advice here, you need to be wiling to test your own water with a drop based test kit. See here Test Kit Comparison

You're also going to need to read up on balancing your own pool water and ignoring advice from the pool store. The methods taught here by the experts are not compatible with pool store advice.

Clicking on the Pool School link above and reading through it are a great place to start. I'd recommend ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry first.

Ask lots of questions.

I have a 35,000 gallon vinyl liner pool. It will not maintain a chlorine level.
There is a simple statement (often overlooked) that may help....Chlorine is a consumable item and is consumed by ONLY TWO THINGS...sunlight and organics in your pool.

The 40 CYA test indicates you have decent protection from the sun so the only remaining possibility is organics (invisible algae) is the culprit.

You must clear the remaining organics from the pool and your pool will be able to keep a decent chlorine residual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.