Pool 99% completed! final payment due!

HudsonViews

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Ocean County NJ
Just had pool opened the other day after pebblesheen plaster done paid $1,000 as per contract upon opening. Still owe @$8500 which was due prior to plaster. 4 inspections need to be completed scheduled for this week and final next week. (final electric, plumbing, fire and finally building C.O). Told PB he will get his check upon final CO and he seemed very angry over withholding money. The 8,500 is final plaster payment and nothing else is due. Should I pay or should I wait for finals? For the record payments were due prior to all work involved. PB actually began all phases before asking for money and we pretty much paid him upon completions and sometimes up front. Still owes me remote pool controls and vacuum. Thanks

Up to you what kind of relationship you want to maintain with him. That is a pretty big chunk of change. I certainly appreciate the desire to hold back some to ensure things are completed.

Maybe try to meet in the middle and show good faith by paying some of that now and hold back a little less pending completion of inspections and delivery of the missing parts.

I'd withhold all of it (or at a minimum the amount it would cost you to hire another PB to complete the unfinished work) until you have all permits signed off, equipment installed and working per the contract, and any clean up of the job site.

Once final payment is made and you problems you become nothing more than nuisance to many PB.

PS. Don't forgot to get releases from him as well.

Still owe @$8500 which was due prior to plaster.

Why would you withhold money when it was clear and up front that the funds were due prior to plaster? Aren't you the one not abiding by the contract now? What would you say to the PB if he came to you in the middle of the build and ask for all funds remaining be paid in advance? Would you not tell him to pound sand? If you didn't like the terms of the contract should have done your homework on the front end and communicate that to him.

Getting finals and even failing a final is not the end of the world....a failed inspection could have been as minute as the inspector was in a bad mood. I would have paid the man and told him I would like to withhold a certain amount of funds to make sure final inspections are passed....Mr PB, what would be a reasonable amount between us to withhold and come to an agreed upon price. Especially if he has not given you pause to date to believe he would turn dishonest now.

That is true however he never provided me with the remote control panels. I wanted 1 hardwired in kitchen and 1 for spa. He said would have lcd remote screen for house and 1 handheld remote for spa. I have been asking for a while and still have not received. I figure it is @ $1,000 worth of equipment. Still missing eyelets for pool and spa. pool vacuum @ $800. I have electrical this week and hoping that gas line will be fixed monday as I rescheduled final plumbing for tues morning. I would give another $5000
no problem. PB never calls me I deal with his middleman. middleman said that he would speak to plumber and let me know. Final fire and CO scheduled for Wed. I will have to cancel if plumber does not show. I guess I will know on tuesday if going to release funds or not.

I just feel like I have been getting jerked around. I wanted SWG gave me nature 2 with SWG. wanted cartrdige filter gave me DE. wanted 6 feet deep gave me 4 1/2 due to water table. other builders said no problem I live by ocean so very high water table. drilled umbrella sleeve in sundeck and was not going to put in plastic sleeve till I told him was missing. and finally still waiting on remotes. I had to schedule last few inspections since they did not bother doing. We also are doing another $8000 of landscaping with them on side yet to be done upon receiving CO of pool.

PB broke our electric line to garage and electricain said that on us to bring garage up to code. We worked out arrangement and paid for electrical work upgrade. PB also broke our barbecue gas line and plumber said it is on us to get permit and bring up to code.
A lot of little things so I don't have 100% confidence that I am going to get remotes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.