Purchasing New Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter for My Pool

pars

May 22, 2014
Anaheim, California
Hi everyone,

I am considering upgrading my current 36 sq ft Pentair DE filter to Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter | 60 Sq Ft | 120 GPM.

I just installed a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and I want to make sure that the pump and the filter will be a good harmony!!

The reason for upgrading my existing filter is that I need to clean the filter maybe every 3 weeks or so, since my pool is surround by pine trees.

I wondering if upgrading to a bigger filter maybe even the 80 sq ft would be beneficial? or is not worth it at all? My pool contains about 17,000 gallon of water.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Sam

I have a 60sqft DE on my pool which seems like a good size ... going larger that that is not likely that beneficial for your pool size.

With pine needles you need to be sure the impeller does not get clogged. Using skimmer socks can help.
Do you have a lot of high flow needs to warrant such a large pump?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Well,

As for your question, regarding the high flow need, I originally had a full rated Hayward north star pump that was working at 3450 RPM for 8 hours a day which was consuming lots or electricity (considering 16 cents a KWh here in Anaheim, It was expensive).

I installed the Pentair Inteliflo VS and am using 1800 RPM for about 10 hours to turnover once a day. I might lower the combination, but this will be per trail and error, i suppose.

Problem I have is with my existing filter. It was cleaned about 2 weeks ago and now It seems that it is clogged again. That is why I am considering a bigger filter.

So, the Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter | 60 Sq Ft | 120 GPM would be a good fit for my system. I have a deal for $509 for this item. Is this a good deal?

Thanks
Sam

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I meant the price for the Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter, 60 Sq Ft, 120 GPM is $590!!

I have no idea if that is a good deal. I would Google just like you.

FYI, the Intelliflo is most efficient at 1000rpm and you should not need 10 hours. See if that speed provides enough flow for your skimmer. Right now you are running at the RPM that a 2-speed would be running at on low speed ... and that would have been much cheaper to buy up front. So to take advantage of the VS, you should try to run slower.

Why would the cartridge filter be better than the grid style, such as the Pentair FNSP60? I know they're less expensive, but if you factor in the cartridge price...

Also, I have the Intelliflo VF and with my spill over spa using the same body of water, I am not able to get it to run at 1000 rpms. It will run, but there's not much movement in ethir the skimmer or the spa spillover. Keep that in mind if you have the same setup. I am able to run it around 1400 rpms though and it runs great at that RPM.

All the bigger filter will do is reduce the frequency of cleanings ... if that is worth it to you, then so be it. Having the larger filter will not really impact how clean the pool is or change the chemical maintenance.

Bigger filter will give him more flow rate (and turnover capacity) as well. That will also cost more in electrical though to run that higher flow
Marginally true with a fixed speed pump. But with the VS, he can dial down the speed and have the same flow rate and electrical cost.

Something that I have miscalculated is that I have 1.5" copper piping system where it is upgraded to 2" when it comes to the above ground. As such, i suppose, the 60 sf filter might be overkill. Maybe I should consider Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Pool Filter.

What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.