Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purchasing New Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter for My Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Purchasing New Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter for My Pool

Hi everyone,

I am considering upgrading my current 36 sq ft Pentair DE filter to Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter | 60 Sq Ft | 120 GPM.

I just installed a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and I want to make sure that the pump and the filter will be a good harmony!!

The reason for upgrading my existing filter is that I need to clean the filter maybe every 3 weeks or so, since my pool is surround by pine trees.

I wondering if upgrading to a bigger filter maybe even the 80 sq ft would be beneficial? or is not worth it at all? My pool contains about 17,000 gallon of water.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
    Sam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purchasing New Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter for My Pool

I have a 60sqft DE on my pool which seems like a good size ... going larger that that is not likely that beneficial for your pool size.

With pine needles you need to be sure the impeller does not get clogged. Using skimmer socks can help.
    Do you have a lot of high flow needs to warrant such a large pump?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well,

As for your question, regarding the high flow need, I originally had a full rated Hayward north star pump that was working at 3450 RPM for 8 hours a day which was consuming lots or electricity (considering 16 cents a KWh here in Anaheim, It was expensive).

I installed the Pentair Inteliflo VS and am using 1800 RPM for about 10 hours to turnover once a day. I might lower the combination, but this will be per trail and error, i suppose.

Problem I have is with my existing filter. It was cleaned about 2 weeks ago and now It seems that it is clogged again. That is why I am considering a bigger filter.

So, the Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter | 60 Sq Ft | 120 GPM would be a good fit for my system. I have a deal for $509 for this item. Is this a good deal?

Thanks
    Sam

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I meant the price for the Pentair Quad DE Hight Flow Filter, 60 Sq Ft, 120 GPM is $590!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no idea if that is a good deal. I would Google just like you.

FYI, the Intelliflo is most efficient at 1000rpm and you should not need 10 hours. See if that speed provides enough flow for your skimmer. Right now you are running at the RPM that a 2-speed would be running at on low speed ... and that would have been much cheaper to buy up front. So to take advantage of the VS, you should try to run slower.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds great, I will try to set it at 1,000 RPM and see what would be the outcome.
    So, just for peace of mind, do you still recommend that I upgrade to a bigger filter system?
    17,000 Gallon Pool, In Ground Pool, Plaster Surface, Pentair DE Filter, 36 sq ft, Pump is Pentair IntelliFlo Various Speed, ~1970 Built, Attached Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Why would the cartridge filter be better than the grid style, such as the Pentair FNSP60? I know they're less expensive, but if you factor in the cartridge price...

Also, I have the Intelliflo VF and with my spill over spa using the same body of water, I am not able to get it to run at 1000 rpms. It will run, but there's not much movement in ethir the skimmer or the spa spillover. Keep that in mind if you have the same setup. I am able to run it around 1400 rpms though and it runs great at that RPM.

7. Back To Top    #7

All the bigger filter will do is reduce the frequency of cleanings ... if that is worth it to you, then so be it. Having the larger filter will not really impact how clean the pool is or change the chemical maintenance.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Bigger filter will give him more flow rate (and turnover capacity) as well. That will also cost more in electrical though to run that higher flow

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Bigger filter will give him more flow rate (and turnover capacity) as well. That will also cost more in electrical though to run that higher flow
    Marginally true with a fixed speed pump. But with the VS, he can dial down the speed and have the same flow rate and electrical cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Something that I have miscalculated is that I have 1.5" copper piping system where it is upgraded to 2" when it comes to the above ground. As such, i suppose, the 60 sf filter might be overkill. Maybe I should consider Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Pool Filter.

What do you think?
    17,000 Gallon Pool, In Ground Pool, Plaster Surface, Pentair DE Filter, 36 sq ft, Pump is Pentair IntelliFlo Various Speed, ~1970 Built, Attached Spa

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a 48 sft DE filter for 16000 gallons. It's plenty, but I was thinking today as I backwashed, that a 60 sft wouldn't take any more pad space and would go 25% longer between cleanings. Check the price difference.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

The pipe size has nothing to do with filter size. If anything it would have pointed to a smaller pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator