Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Pilot Digital Nano+, Wiring ?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Pilot Digital Nano+, Wiring ?

Hi. Have had my new Nano+ purchased from the SaltPoolGuys running for a couple weeks now. Talk about a breeze to order, install, and get up and running. All I'm doing now is tweaking pump run times and SWG output %, and enjoying sparkling, clear water.

Here's the question. The unit I got is the 110v model to match my 110v pump. A convenient part of that is a standard household 3 prong plug at the end of the Nano power cord. I currently have that plugged into a GFCI outlet next to my pump, however, that outlet is not on the same circuit as my pump, which means it isn't controlled by my timer for the circuit in the basement. I've read in a couple threads here that I really need to get the SWG to NOT rely on the flow switch and have it on the same circuit so it goes cold when the pump does. (Confirm?)

What would be the more "proper" way to do this? Strip down the plug end of the Nano+ to hard wire into the pump electrical junction box at the pad? Or run another GFCI outlet off the pump circuit so the Nano+ can still simply plug in? Or does it matter?

Thanks.
    Brian Smith
    18k gal, IG vinyl, 1.5HP Jandy FloPro single speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital Nano+ SWG, Jandy filter, Jandy Pro JE2500T Heat Pump, Aquabot Extreme, TF-100 test kit, built 8/2013.
    Yoder YS-480 Pellet Smoker, keg is in the basement. Go Skins!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Pilot Digital Nano+, Wiring ?

I have my AutoPilot Digital power wires going to the same terminals as the pump relay, so the relay/timer controls power to both devices at once.

That was how my AutoPilot Digital manual suggested.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bs911 View Post
    Strip down the plug end of the Nano+ to hard wire into the pump electrical junction box at the pad?
    This is a good approach, or replace the cord completely with more conduit friendly wire.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I went the "run another GFCI outlet off the pump circuit so the Nano+ can still simply plug in" approach. That way the wire would stay completely intact to avoid any warranty issues should the need arise.
    12x20x52 AG ~6000 gallons (2ft bury), Waterway PH2100-6 1HP 2 spd pump, Hayward Xtreme 100sqft filter,
    Pool Pilot Digital Nano Plus SWG 5/2014, Hayward Heat Pump HP50HA 8/2014, Wanda the Whale cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. So I suppose the bottom line is that either approach is technically ok. I think leaving the plug/cord intact might not be a horrible idea.
    Brian Smith
    18k gal, IG vinyl, 1.5HP Jandy FloPro single speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital Nano+ SWG, Jandy filter, Jandy Pro JE2500T Heat Pump, Aquabot Extreme, TF-100 test kit, built 8/2013.
    Yoder YS-480 Pellet Smoker, keg is in the basement. Go Skins!