Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test strips --- stupid question?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Jonesboro, AR

Test strips --- stupid question?

I've read through pool school and a large chunk of the articles and forum posts. I understand the number one requirement is a good test kit. And I've gathered the opinion that test strips are evil. I'm just wondering .... how evil? Are the ones that test for FC really THAT OFF? I noticed that Taylor makes a 6-way test strip that also measures CYA.

We are renting a house with an above ground pool while we are building a new house. This is literally the only season we will be using this pool, so I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cash for a test kit. Especially since the landlord left us a bucket of Trichlor tabs. I might be pushing some high CYA by the end of the summer .... Just wondering what you guys think.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the information I've found on the Taylor test strips....
    24' round above ground pool, 13,500 gallons. Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Test strips --- stupid question?

Even a basic OTO and pH drop test would be better than the test strips.

If you think you can avoid needing to SLAM, the HTH 6-way kit from Walmart may get you buy (although I think it is nearly half the cost of the K-2006).

Who is responsible for the pool maintenance? If you, you may end up having to spend more money clearing up a swamp if things go bad than you would have with the proper tool in the first place.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Test strips --- stupid question?

Just look at those ranges for CYA on the typical strip test, they are usually 0 = yellow-orange, 30-50 = orange, 100 = red orange 250=red and 400=purple, given we teach anything at over 100 is usually an algae bloom waiting to happen those top 3 ranges just tell you that you need to drain and replace a lot of water, or a whole lot of water, and trying to distinguish exactly where you are between yellow-orange and red-orange on the 0-100 range is an exercise in futility when you consider the precision needed for using the Chlorine/CYA chart in pool school.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~