Test strips --- stupid question?

I've read through pool school and a large chunk of the articles and forum posts. I understand the number one requirement is a good test kit. And I've gathered the opinion that test strips are evil. I'm just wondering .... how evil? Are the ones that test for FC really THAT OFF? I noticed that Taylor makes a 6-way test strip that also measures CYA.

We are renting a house with an above ground pool while we are building a new house. This is literally the only season we will be using this pool, so I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cash for a test kit. Especially since the landlord left us a bucket of Trichlor tabs. I might be pushing some high CYA by the end of the summer .... Just wondering what you guys think.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the information I've found on the Taylor test strips....

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/product_fliers/sureTRACK-Strips-4way-and-6way.pdf

Even a basic OTO and pH drop test would be better than the test strips.

If you think you can avoid needing to SLAM, the HTH 6-way kit from Walmart may get you buy (although I think it is nearly half the cost of the K-2006).

Who is responsible for the pool maintenance? If you, you may end up having to spend more money clearing up a swamp if things go bad than you would have with the proper tool in the first place.

Just look at those ranges for CYA on the typical strip test, they are usually 0 = yellow-orange, 30-50 = orange, 100 = red orange 250=red and 400=purple, given we teach anything at over 100 is usually an algae bloom waiting to happen those top 3 ranges just tell you that you need to drain and replace a lot of water, or a whole lot of water, and trying to distinguish exactly where you are between yellow-orange and red-orange on the 0-100 range is an exercise in futility when you consider the precision needed for using the Chlorine/CYA chart in pool school.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.