Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern NJ

Salt water switch

Hi. A lot of my friends have a swg pool while I use chlorine. They think I'm nuts to use old school methods. Is it costly and worth the switch? I must admit lugging the chlorine from the store is killing me. Thanks
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2
    Dallas, TX

Re: Salt water switch

A lot of people like them. You do still have to test every day or two and there is periodic maintenance involved (including replacing the cell every several years). Cost is about the same.

Either way you still use chlorine--the SWG just uses electricity to turn salt in the water into chlorine which gets recycled back to salt. You just pay for equipment + electricity instead of bleach.

I don't find the liquid chlorine to be much of a problem myself and the last thing I want is another electronic gizmo to have to troubleshoot but that is totally a matter of opinion.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Salt water switch

freqz made a good summary

The costs are about the same over the long term, with the SWG more heavily front loaded. A SWG really just adds convenience of not carrying jugs and being able to go on vacation with less worry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!