Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much CYA in Stabilized Chlorine ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much CYA in Stabilized Chlorine ?

Over the winter my pool ended up leaking (we had a bad winter, and it froze deep enough to pull the plug out of my return). I ended up having to add much more water than I had to in previous years. Amyway, my CYA is now below 30. My pool is now burning through belach like it's going out of style. In the past, I would loose about 1 PPM per day, now its in the 3 to 4 range, clearly I need to boost my CYA a bit (Normal levels are about 40). For the record, the pool is otherwise fine. Passed OCLT (a number of times), clear water, etc. (we will ignore the mice that were living in my solar cover for now).

My question is, I have some sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate granuales already. 99% active ingredients, 56% available chlorine. I would rather use this than buying some stabilizer, but I can't figure out how much to add. The chemical calculator is based on stabilizer, not stabilized chlorine granuales. In the past, if my CYA got a bit low (because of a lot of rain) I would just throw some pucks in a floater, and after a few days it would bring the levels up. I think this needs more than a few pucks.

Anybody know how much to use ?

EDIT: I found it. It is in pool math, but not where I thought it was. For my pool (27,000 gal) 4oz of Di-chlor will result in FC + 1.0 and CYA + 0.9

So maybe 8 oz a day for 5 days or so, and then retest CYA and see where it is at.

Temp: 63 F (Brrrrr)
    FC 7.5 (a touch high, but it needs to be that high so it can be OK by evening)
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 180
    CYA A little cloudy when the tube is filled to the top.

Thanks

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much CYA in Stabilized Chlorine ?

sounds like a plan, just remember dichlor is acidic so it will also lower your pH
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How much CYA in Stabilized Chlorine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    sounds like a plan, just remember dichlor is acidic so it will also lower your pH
    Yep,

I figure I will get the CYA where I want it, and then rebalance the pH. My TA is pretty good, and it buffers the pH pretty well. For the most part my pool water is pretty stable - luckly.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo