Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH Substitute - Vaporizer. Is it ok to use in Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Yardley, PA

CH Substitute - Vaporizer. Is it ok to use in Pool?

Infrequent poster here since almost every question has been asked in the past. That's what a search function is for, so thanks to all of the Mod's and answer guys.

I need to raise my CH from 150 to 250 in my 30k inground plaster pool. CH dropped likely due to water turnover during the winter. Anyway, looking for a substitute, I grabbed a bag of Vaporizer Ice Melt from my local Auto Parts store ($9 for a 40lb bag - score).

The MSDS has the following:

Is it safe to use this stuff in my pool? I suspect that it is a mix of Calcium and salt. Funny thing is yesterday I added 550lb of salt getting ready to start my SWG. Salt level was 3500 this morning so it appears I have a little room to play. Pool math indicates I need 25lbs to get to the 250 level.

If not well I have a start on next years salt supply for the driveway.
    30,000 gallon Sylvan, Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter, IntelliBrite LED Light, Circupool SI45+ SWG, Raypak 400k BTU Propane Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: CH Substitute - Vaporizer. Is it ok to use in Pool?

Well it looks like it is about 90% salt, I think would probably be better off with something else to raise CH.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Central WV

Re: CH Substitute - Vaporizer. Is it ok to use in Pool?

It looks like there's plenty of Home Depots in your area. They have 50 lb bags of Calcium Chloride flake for $17.97.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log