Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help on new Taylor test kit-chlorine test stays pink...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help on new Taylor test kit-chlorine test stays pink...

Hi all,

First time using new Taylor testing kit and I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the chlorine test. I added the 2 tiny scoops for the powder stuff and the water turns pink. I then add the drops, one at a time to determine FC. After about 20 drops, I stopped(water was still pink), as I felt like I was using too much. I added chlorine a week ago, and it was very sunny this weekend. In process of raising cya, but estimate that it's around 20. I just find it hard to believe that FC is still so high. Is there something else that would cause the reading to be off?

Thanks!
    27K gallon, IG vinyl pool, SD80 Sand Dollar sand filter-Michigan, 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help on new Taylor test kit-chlorine test stays pink...

Are you using the 25 ml or 10ml test? 20 drops on the 25ml test would only be 4.0 so not abnormal at all. Heck even a 10ml test it would be 10
    Continue adding drops until it turns clear. Then multiply by whatever test variant you are using

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming you are using the Taylor K2006. Swirl the water after adding the powder. Ensure you are using the brown bottle (R-0871) for your drops after the powder. Make sure you swirl the sample after each drop. Using a 10mL water sample with the 20 drops will provide you with 10ppm of FC, which isn't all that high. (High if you haven't added chlorine in a week). If you used a 25mL sample then 20 drops is a FC of 5. You can always double check yourself with the OTO test if you have a kit. There are cheap at almost any department store.
    20,500 gallon free form, 6X9 hot tub w/ spillover, 18" jumping platform w/ 3ft shear descent on chopped rock, Travertine coping, 2.5HP Hayward 2-speed filter pump, 525 Hayward Cartridge filter, 350K BTU Hayward NG Heater, 2HP Hayward water feature pump, Satin Matrix Northshore Carribbean, Jandy PDS-8 Controls

4. Back To Top    #4

You're using the R-871 reagent not the R-0003, right?
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Starplex View Post
    Assuming you are using the Taylor K2006. Swirl the water after adding the powder. Ensure you are using the brown bottle (R-0871) for your drops after the powder. Make sure you swirl the sample after each drop. Using a 10mL water sample with the 20 drops will provide you with 10ppm of FC, which isn't all that high. (High if you haven't added chlorine in a week). If you used a 25mL sample then 20 drops is a FC of 5. You can always double check yourself with the OTO test if you have a kit. There are cheap at almost any department store.
    That should be 4, not 5.

6. Back To Top    #6

Same exact test reagents as your K-2006.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the replies. I did a few tests over the past week, using both the large and smaller amounts, trying to figure out which was better. I think I had it in my head that the last test using the 25ml sample would require fewer drops. My pool water is still very cold, so that must also be helping to maintain the chlorine levels.
    Thanks again!
    27K gallon, IG vinyl pool, SD80 Sand Dollar sand filter-Michigan, 1hp pump