Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened to a pond, still cloudy and other problems...

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened to a pond, still cloudy and other problems...

My winter cover had a hole in it and we opened the pool 2 weeks ago to a pond with lots of frogs and green water. After all of the organic material was vacuumed and scooped out, I brought the pool water level up to where it is supposed to be and added the chemicals needed. I shocked it 3 times hoping that it would kill anything else that tried to start blooming. We still have cloudiness, but it is not improving. I shocked it again last night but was hoping this morning after running the pump all night it would be fairly clear, but it was not. Here are my current numbers:

TA: 50
    PH: 7.2
    Chlorine: 6.0 (post shock)
    CYA: 70
    Salt: 2150

Also, I have noticed that there are some floating things in the pool that kind of resembles soap, but its not really foamy. I read that it could be from air on the suction side. I have replaced the o-ring on the pump lid but it still appears that there is some bubbles in that basket. I am not sure what else to check.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened to a pond, still cloudy and other problems...

Does the pool foam look like this:

Just do what he did. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ark-Green-Pool

Or is it more like this:

Either way, the solution is a SLAM. It's like a shock but it is sustained for days. If you don't have the prerequisites, don't try it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Its definitely the first picture. But my water is not green, its just cloudy with the bubbles.

- - - Updated - - -

And what is the SLAM process?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

pool.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is how it looks today. It was a dark green, now its less green but cloudy with these bubbles.
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

What about the bubbles in the pump basket?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff74 View Post
    What about the bubbles in the pump basket?
    A bubble stuck in the top of the lid is pretty normal. Do you see bubbles coming out of the returns in the pool?

If it isn't the lid O-ring, check the drain plugs on the pump, that the water in the skimmer isn't too low and creating a vortex, that the skimmer flapper isn't sticking.

8. Back To Top    #8

There are some bubbles coming out of the return jet but not anymore than there was last year. The pump basket isn't churning but there are lots of little bubbles but "a" bubble in the top as you mentioned. I replaced the o ring. Where are the drain plugs? There is one right near the basket on the pump but I thought this was a air pressure release?

24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

There's usually one or two drain plugs on the pump body. Look for your manual online and study the parts diagram, that will show you how many and where.

Tiny bubbles in the returns could be from the SWG. See if they go away when you shut the SWG off for a few minutes with the pump on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Once I find the drain plugs, what do I need to look for with them?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff74 View Post
    Once I find the drain plugs, what do I need to look for with them?
    They might have an O-ring, or they're tapered pipe plugs. The parts blowup will show an O-ring. Make sure it's there and the plug is snug with your finger. If it's a pipe thread (it may say something like "plug, 1/4" NPT") make sure it has some teflon tape on it and it's screwed in tight with a wrench.