Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Liner Stain

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl Liner Stain

28' diameter 54" deep above ground pool.

The bottom half of the wall all the way around the pool has a brown tint/stain. Stain is the same height all the way around, almost like the water was that low. Stain is about 24" above pool floor. Water was not drained that low ever. Stains were there after opening this spring. There are no stains on the pool floor or above the 24". Seems weird how the stain is so defined.

Any help and/or suggestions here?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl Liner Stain

Welcome to TFP!

Could be many things from leftover organic stains to calcium or iron staining. To diagnose, we'd need to know how long the pool has been open, whether the stain will scrub off or feels rough and a set of test results.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you tried just plain old brushing it? Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the late response.

My chemicals were way out of wack. I can't remember the numbers exactly. Essentially, when I was adding stabilizer I had the total alkalinity number in my head and put way too much stabilizer in. So my chlorine was basically doing nothing. Did a bunch of 1/4 pool empties and refills and finally got the stabilizer to 40 like it should be. Re-balanced the remaining chemicals and shocked the pool.

The stain went away after shocking and hasn't been back since. Everything is great now!