SPA/Hot tub chemistry question....

Sep 19, 2012
Temecula, CA
My spa/hot tub is connected to my pool so this question is for the folks who have a stand alone system:

Is the chemistry the same? What I mean is, do you still add the same types of stuff as you would your pool? Bleach, muriatic acid, borax....and the such? Just curious. I was in Leslies the other day buying a new o-ring and there was a couple in there asking questions and naturally they were sold about $75 worth of product so I gave them this website info and told them to read and ask questions before dumping that stuff in there. I'm just looking to be informed for the next time I run into someone in this situation. Thank you all!

~Carl

I chlorinate my pool and spa with the exact same chemicals. Test with the same kit. Etc, etc, etc. I do tend to push my FC higher in the hot tub because I don't lose it to sunlight (mostly covered) so I can wait longer between testing/adding bleach.

Wait! There is one difference! I use 8.25% bleach in the hot tub, 12.5% in the pool. Lower hypochlorite concentration is more stable and easier to bump up FC with larger volumes in a small tub.

Thanks Joel...so on the Pool Math calculator, you just substitute your numbers in? Number of gallons of water....blah blah blah....and are the targets still the same based on the FC/CYA charts? Sorry for the dumb question but I just don't want people to be discouraged from the enjoyment that we all partake in! LOL!

For a stand alone spa you use different TA levels, and you add chlorine after each time you use the spa as well as on a regular schedule. But by and large things are very similar. See the sticky at the top of the Spa/Hot Tub section of the forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.