Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace toggle switch with timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace toggle switch with timer?

I'd like to install a timer for my pool pump. I'm thinking the Intermatic T104. I have a main pump for the filter and a booster pump that I only run when using a Polaris cleaning robot. I only want to put a timer on the main filter pump. Right now they are wired with on/off toggle switches. How hard would it be to replace the toggle switch with the timer? In the pictures, the main pump switch is the top switch of the two on the left side of the breaker box. The right side of the breaker box has a 110 outlet and a switch for the pool light. Thanks for any advice!

SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace toggle switch with timer?

Electrically, that is very easy. The main challenge here is physically mounting the timer box. That pole looks fairly crowded and the timer is somewhat larger than the existing switch box.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I wired one for both my pump and lights and it is very straightforward. Only issue I see is wire length so you might have to mount it below or extend the wires. I would suggest this version that is meant for outdoor use. Has a seal and little different box. http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10...termatic+T104R

4. Back To Top    #4

A good point about space. There is enough space on the back side, especially if I remount the landscape light box either higher or lower. So would you keep the toggle switch and put the timer after?

17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd put the timer first, and manual switch after. Otherwise you need to run separate wires so the timer keeps proper time when the switch is off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I just had an electrician install an Intermatic timer for me. He said I had to leave the on/off switch "upstream" of the timer in order for the work to pass electrical code. It is actually very helpful when backwashing, too.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I just had an electrician install an Intermatic timer for me. He said I had to leave the on/off switch "upstream" of the timer in order for the work to pass electrical code. It is actually very helpful when backwashing, too.
    Can you explain that a little more? You're saying Power -> Timer -> Toggle, right? If the timer is in "off" mode the toggle switch wouldn't do anything in that scenario. How is it helpful with backwashing?

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope. I meant Power - > Toggle - > Timer.

My timer is in an enclosure while my toggle is an outdoor style switch with a cover flap. It's easier while my timer is on to flip off the toggle, switch to backwash, flip on the toggle, flip off toggle, switch to rinse, etc, etc than to flip the switch inside the timer enclosure.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Nope. I meant Power - > Toggle - > Timer.

My timer is in an enclosure while my toggle is an outdoor style switch with a cover flap. It's easier while my timer is on to flip off the toggle, switch to backwash, flip on the toggle, flip off toggle, switch to rinse, etc, etc than to flip the switch inside the timer enclosure.
    Ahh I understand now. Very good points.

10. Back To Top    #10

The more I think about it, it would be better just to replace the toggle with the timer. Whether or not that is up to code, is another question.

11. Back To Top    #11

That T104 doesn't mention outdoor installation. I assume I'll need to get the T104P3 or T104R3 for outdoors. One is plastic, one is metal. Which would be better? Seems like the metal would last longer but will rust. The filter area is in direct sunlight for most of the day so plastic might not last long...

12. Back To Top    #12

I have the metal ones (t104r) and like them. Only had them a year so hard to tell on rust but they are pretty well built. I also have just a timer with no separate switch and don't mind having to open the timer to operate the switch. If you have a lowes in your area that is where I got mine.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have no experience with the Intermatic T104R, but it was recommended by the company that installed the timer I ended up with. One of my requirements was to be able to set several run times for different lengths throughout the day, with that the company advised me the GE 15087 was an option. I researched the specs and it met my requirements. It has a good enclosure and you set on times in 30 minute increments with push/pull tabs. The unit itself has an off setting on the red three position switch (timer, run, off) which may negate need for separate on-off switch.

My set up has an on-off switch prior to the timer. Install was easier that way and meets code. If I kill the switch it requires a reset, spin the dial a few clicks.

I have had it for two years without any issues. http://waterheatertimer.org/images/G...or-outdoor.jpg
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

14. Back To Top    #14

A timer alone meets code, and code doesn't care about the order, though in both cases the inspector has some discretion.

I like the Intermatic timers, they also can do several different run periods during the day and they just keep working year after year.