Replace toggle switch with timer?

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
I'd like to install a timer for my pool pump. I'm thinking the Intermatic T104. I have a main pump for the filter and a booster pump that I only run when using a Polaris cleaning robot. I only want to put a timer on the main filter pump. Right now they are wired with on/off toggle switches. How hard would it be to replace the toggle switch with the timer? In the pictures, the main pump switch is the top switch of the two on the left side of the breaker box. The right side of the breaker box has a 110 outlet and a switch for the pool light. Thanks for any advice!

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

A good point about space. There is enough space on the back side, especially if I remount the landscape light box either higher or lower. So would you keep the toggle switch and put the timer after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had an electrician install an Intermatic timer for me. He said I had to leave the on/off switch "upstream" of the timer in order for the work to pass electrical code. It is actually very helpful when backwashing, too.

Can you explain that a little more? You're saying Power -> Timer -> Toggle, right? If the timer is in "off" mode the toggle switch wouldn't do anything in that scenario. How is it helpful with backwashing?

Nope. I meant Power - > Toggle - > Timer.

My timer is in an enclosure while my toggle is an outdoor style switch with a cover flap. It's easier while my timer is on to flip off the toggle, switch to backwash, flip on the toggle, flip off toggle, switch to rinse, etc, etc than to flip the switch inside the timer enclosure.

Nope. I meant Power - > Toggle - > Timer.

My timer is in an enclosure while my toggle is an outdoor style switch with a cover flap. It's easier while my timer is on to flip off the toggle, switch to backwash, flip on the toggle, flip off toggle, switch to rinse, etc, etc than to flip the switch inside the timer enclosure.

Ahh I understand now. Very good points.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That T104 doesn't mention outdoor installation. I assume I'll need to get the T104P3 or T104R3 for outdoors. One is plastic, one is metal. Which would be better? Seems like the metal would last longer but will rust. The filter area is in direct sunlight for most of the day so plastic might not last long...

I have the metal ones (t104r) and like them. Only had them a year so hard to tell on rust but they are pretty well built. I also have just a timer with no separate switch and don't mind having to open the timer to operate the switch. If you have a lowes in your area that is where I got mine.

I have no experience with the Intermatic T104R, but it was recommended by the company that installed the timer I ended up with. One of my requirements was to be able to set several run times for different lengths throughout the day, with that the company advised me the GE 15087 was an option. I researched the specs and it met my requirements. It has a good enclosure and you set on times in 30 minute increments with push/pull tabs. The unit itself has an off setting on the red three position switch (timer, run, off) which may negate need for separate on-off switch.

My set up has an on-off switch prior to the timer. Install was easier that way and meets code. If I kill the switch it requires a reset, spin the dial a few clicks.

I have had it for two years without any issues. http://waterheatertimer.org/images/GE-15087-indoor-outdoor.jpg

A timer alone meets code, and code doesn't care about the order, though in both cases the inspector has some discretion.

I like the Intermatic timers, they also can do several different run periods during the day and they just keep working year after year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.