LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The local AM garden guy is pitching this stuff. http://www.crystalclearchems.com/

Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate

Looks to me like an algaecide. I am planning to send him an email directing him to TFP and the hazards of blindly dumping chemistry in. Hopefully I can head some AM radio off at the pass.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm wondering specifically what the purpose of the Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate is. I understand the copper (algae control, turning hair green and staining the pool).

Best I can do is " Zinc sulfate, like many zinc compounds, can be used to control moss growth on roofs." from wikipedia.

The local AM garden guy is pitching this stuff. I am planning to send him an email directing him to TFP and the hazards of blindly dumping chemistry in.

Chris
Unless TFP pays him I doubt he will care. The snake oil folks are paying him for his pitch. Most AM fix it type shows are really nothing more than an informercial. Generally the "host" pays for the air time and makes up for his costs through partners & sponsors.

Last edited:
I'm wondering specifically what the purpose of the Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate is. I understand the copper (algae control, turning hair green and staining the pool).

Best I can do is " Zinc sulfate, like many zinc compounds, can be used to control moss growth on roofs." from wikipedia.
As described in this paper, both copper and zinc have algicidal properties against freshwater algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.