Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snake Oil - Can I get an opinion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Snake Oil - Can I get an opinion?

The local AM garden guy is pitching this stuff. http://www.crystalclearchems.com/

Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate

Looks to me like an algaecide. I am planning to send him an email directing him to TFP and the hazards of blindly dumping chemistry in. Hopefully I can head some AM radio off at the pass.

Chris
    Last edited by karmabiker; 06-02-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: fixed the comma locations fro the cut / paste.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Snake Oil - Can I get an opinion?

Ugh. Metals. Copper. Unless green hair becomes hot in Milan, pass. Even then... pass.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm wondering specifically what the purpose of the Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate is. I understand the copper (algae control, turning hair green and staining the pool).

Best I can do is " Zinc sulfate, like many zinc compounds, can be used to control moss growth on roofs." from wikipedia.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    The local AM garden guy is pitching this stuff. I am planning to send him an email directing him to TFP and the hazards of blindly dumping chemistry in.

Chris
    Unless TFP pays him I doubt he will care. The snake oil folks are paying him for his pitch. Most AM fix it type shows are really nothing more than an informercial. Generally the "host" pays for the air time and makes up for his costs through partners & sponsors.
    Last edited by tim5055; 06-02-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Some people like camouflage stains on the walls....

With the amount of rain you folks have been getting, I wonder if the stuff would ever build up enough to get to stain level?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Snake oil is good if you have a squeaky snake.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Snake oil is good if you have a squeaky snake.
    Chuckle. Good one.

8. Back To Top    #8

Jealous, Richard?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Some people like camouflage stains on the walls....

With the amount of rain you folks have been getting, I wonder if the stuff would ever build up enough to get to stain level?
    My CH is loving it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    I'm wondering specifically what the purpose of the Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate is. I understand the copper (algae control, turning hair green and staining the pool).

Best I can do is " Zinc sulfate, like many zinc compounds, can be used to control moss growth on roofs." from wikipedia.
    As described in this paper, both copper and zinc have algicidal properties against freshwater algae.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow. Not sure if it was my email or something else, all references to crystal clear have been removed from the GardenLine FB page and the KTRH page.