Can too much FC be a problem?

May 26, 2013
Ottawa, On, Canada
So I've had a bit of an algae issue opening up my pool this year. I cranked up my SWG tp 100% and added couple bottles of 10% chlorine (I tried 1 and it wasn't enough). It seems to be starting to work as the pool went from green to cloudy. At first I thought I was done but apparently I'm not. I'm currently ordering a TF100 kit to get accurate chlorine reading, but it's going to take a bit to arrive. At the moment all I can tell from the test strips I have that my FC is well over 10 (changes more or less instantly to the darkest colour).

So my question: Is there any danger leaving the pool at an indeterminate high chlorine level until with A) the algae is gone, or B) by test kit arrives and I can see where i'm exactly at?

You could bleach your liner if it's a vinyl pool.

"Colour"? Are you from Canada? You won't be able to get a TF100 there. This place has the monopoly on Taylor test products and charges accordingly.

If you dilute your test sample 50-50 with nonchlorinated bottled water, you might be able to get a reading and double it for an estimate of where you are.

How high you should go depends entirely on the CYA levels, as seen here.

It will help us a lot of you post your equipment and location. Directions here.

You could bleach your liner if it's a vinyl pool.

Ya I thought there might be something like that

"Colour"? Are you from Canada? You won't be able to get a TF100 there. This place has the monopoly on Taylor test products and charges accordingly.

Yep saw that too. The prices they charge are almost criminal. It easily costs over double what it does in the US. I was planning on using a service like http://myusaddress.ca/, but it's looking like it might take even longer to get here than I had thought so I may just have to pay the high prices.

If you dilute your test sample 50-50 with nonchlorinated bottled water, you might be able to get a reading and double it for an estimate of where you are.

That's genius! I'll do that to make sure I don't go crazy high.

How high you should go depends entirely on the CYA levels, as seen here.

It will help us a lot of you post your equipment and location. Directions here.

And ya I would have added more info, but based on how rough my readings are I didn't know how useful it would be. I more or less just wanted to know if I was going to break something bad in the short term. Then when I got better info I'd be able to post it.

Right now my CYA is 50 +/- 20 (ya I know not very accurate) so I'm looking for a FC shock value of around 20.

Now we see it. :goodjob:

You have two options for a decent test kit. Pay handsomely in Canuckistan, or make a run for the border. Call ahead, first, though. Very few stores stock a FAS-DPD test kit. They'll sell you a DPD test kit and tell you it's the same, but it's not.

Got a friend south of the border where you can ship a test kit to and go pick it up? But factoring in travel costs it may be more expensive that way.

Will Amazon ship a K2006 north of the border?

No amazon doesn't. I found a couple eBay stores that say they will, but it might be a mistake. I think I may just pay the high price this time and when I need a refill on reagents I'll find a cheaper way.

Oh and I did the dilution test and it came out to be somewhere just over 10 but not near 20 yet. good to know I'm not in the "way too high" zone, but irritating that I'm not in the shock zone yet. I think I may just wait for the test kit before doing much more as I don't want to make a mistake.

So sure enough the test kit arrives just as the pool clears up. Figures.

Anyways I tested and here are my values:

FC 16.5
CC .5
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 160
CYA 60

So I never made it up to a proper shock value (24), but I guess 16.5 was enough? Anyways, I've turned off my SWG and I'll see what my FC is in the morning. If it doesn't drop then I'll assume I'm good. If it does I'll bring it back up to a proper shock value and try again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.