Falzy - pool level

Falzy

Jun 1, 2014
Harker Heights
First, thanks for any help that is received in the matter. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site for the past month and have learned a lot. Now on to my issue.

We started installation of my new 24' AGP last weekend, got everything marked, off electric run, and the pool base dug out. My yard is extremely unlevel with more than a 2' drop from one side to the other. I had my father-in-law come dig my base as he does dirt work for a living and has been doing it for 45 years, he is very good at it. The main issue is after about 4 inches of top soil I have nothing but hard pack clay. We got it mostly level but we do have some high and low spots that got worse over the week after baking in the Texas sun. I have tried digging a test spot to see how difficult it will be to level the stones for the uprights, it will be almost impossible. I tried using a little water to soften it up so that I can work with it but all it did was turn to mush and stick to everything.

So here is my plan and I want to know if this is possible. I want to back fill with an inch or so of non-clay dirt and tamp it to help get the ground flat and to keep the clay from drying and cracking. I will tamp it and only apply the dirt where it's necessary. Once the ring is level, I will use 3' of pavers sand to get the bottom smooth.

I want this done right, so here I am asking for guidance.

Thanks in advance.

I don't do forums so I'm not sure this is the correct way to post. How did your install do? I'm in Central Texas with similar clay. The middle of the area has some slight waves (1 inch at most) but all the rail's are level. Does this mean I'm good to go?

I have nothing but clay where I live, and its tough as nails, but to really get a nice feel on the bottom of your pool, and to stop dirt accumulating in the divots on the floor, get yourself a really straight piece of 2x4 and keep shaving the dirt down till it gets level... Then throw down a gorilla pad, some insulation boards for underneath your pool, triple tape the seams and you'll have a really comfy pool floor.... :)

I know its hard work, took me and the hubby nearly 2 weeks to remove 35m2 of grass and topsoil, and it was blister creating and back breaking.... Hang in there though... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.