CYA new above ground pool

May 31, 2014
Pittsboro, NC
We purchased an above ground pool from Craigslist and hired a professional to set it up with a new liner. He did a great job, but left us on our own once it was half full. It sat two days while we thought about the deck and then turned green. I went to the pool store and got a shock treatment and started looking for answers and thankfully found your site.

I've been using the test strips for the past two weeks while I waited for the real test kit. I have been adding chlorine and muriatic acid daily based on the test strip results (I know they aren't as accurate) that were consistently FC 0, pH 8.5, TA 200

I finally got my Taylor k-2006 kit this weekend and did my first real test:

Free Chlorine - never got it to turn pink; I know I have CYA issues so didn't bother wasting indicators
pH - 8.0 (or higher?)
TA - 180 (am I looking for true blue or is purple ok?)
CH - 190
CYA - I mixed then filled it to the top but never could see the black dot disappear - -30?

I bought Cyanuric acid and am ready to put it in a sock and get it in the skimmer. My question is how much CYA?
Poolmath tells me I should add 6 lbs of dry stabilizer, but I've read not to over due it. What should I start with this week?

We filled the pool with well water and it looks great since the shock. If it weren't for the test strips I would think everything is great. Will the pH issues be resolved with CYA too?

Thanks!

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That will answer a lot of your questions. You should be shooting for a CYA of about 40-50 ppm. PoolMath will tell you how much that is.

6 lbs is just right. But I'd do it in steps 4 lbs to start, do a test after a week and add the remainder to get you to 50. that will also drop your pH by .81 initially and .91 at the end. You must have bought cal hypo shock to not have any cya.

Thanks! It was cal hypo - and I was so happy to have such a helpful pool guy, especially when he said I could bring in my water and he'd test it for free. Glad I found you guys first! I've read all the pool school pages, but am still watching youtube videos for practical application. The one sock holds about 2 lbs. I don't think I can fit another in the skimmer - is there another way? Should I keep adding muriatic and bleach as the poolmath calculator tells me or give the cya a chance to do its work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.