Heat pump not working right, or just maintaining overnight heat loss?

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
I noticed something last night with my heat pump...granted, outdoor temps went down to about 55 and I know heat pump efficiency and output reduces as temps drop, with about 50 being the lowest it will operate...but the pool was 76 at 6pm last night. This morning, with the heat pump running all night, was, well, 76. Didn't gain even a single degree. But I'm thinking I lost a lot of heat overnight, and maintained temp at least. Had it been off, I easily would have imagined a 3-4 degree temp drop. Does this sound right? The heat pump seems to do it's job as I expected, as I know it's not a heater, and is a slower process. So just checking really. I have no errors or anything on the control panel, and flow is strong...thanks.

Do you have a solar cover? That makes a huge difference in maintaining/raising the water temperature.

Without the heater I would expect more than 5 degree temperature loss overnight in those conditions without a solar cover.

No solar cover yet. My wife thinks we should get one.

So given no cover, you think the heat pump was just keeping up with the overnight heat loss, but couldn't gain any ground in those mid 50s temps?

I have also decided against a cover. The house I grew up in had a pool in the 70s/80s and we had a solar cover but it was always a hassle and it took up a lot of space when not on the pool. I think the only way that I would get one is if I had it on an automated system to put on/off with the press of a button in a minute or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.