Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump not working right, or just maintaining overnight heat loss?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump not working right, or just maintaining overnight heat loss?

I noticed something last night with my heat pump...granted, outdoor temps went down to about 55 and I know heat pump efficiency and output reduces as temps drop, with about 50 being the lowest it will operate...but the pool was 76 at 6pm last night. This morning, with the heat pump running all night, was, well, 76. Didn't gain even a single degree. But I'm thinking I lost a lot of heat overnight, and maintained temp at least. Had it been off, I easily would have imagined a 3-4 degree temp drop. Does this sound right? The heat pump seems to do it's job as I expected, as I know it's not a heater, and is a slower process. So just checking really. I have no errors or anything on the control panel, and flow is strong...thanks.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump not working right, or just maintaining overnight heat loss?

Do you have a solar cover? That makes a huge difference in maintaining/raising the water temperature.

Without the heater I would expect more than 5 degree temperature loss overnight in those conditions without a solar cover.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No solar cover yet. My wife thinks we should get one.

So given no cover, you think the heat pump was just keeping up with the overnight heat loss, but couldn't gain any ground in those mid 50s temps?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I believe it was actually doing rather well to have not lost ground given the situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Time to look into a solar cover. A few nights ago, the pool was 82, and the air temp about 60. I watched steam (heat) rising off the pool. Cool effect, but obvious heat loss.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    No solar cover yet. My wife thinks we should get one.
    Here is an interesting discussion from a year ago http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...overs-worth-it

I particularly like this quote: I called our cover the blue pool condom.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Interesting thread, and my exact concern. The hassle of on and off, especially with kids that are in and out of the pool, will likely cause it to just sit in the corner.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have also decided against a cover. The house I grew up in had a pool in the 70s/80s and we had a solar cover but it was always a hassle and it took up a lot of space when not on the pool. I think the only way that I would get one is if I had it on an automated system to put on/off with the press of a button in a minute or two.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels