Pentair Intelliflo SV+SVRS Pump (Shuts off 3 to 4 times a day)

Jun 1, 2014
Cincinnati/Ohio
I don't know if this problem has been posted, I couldn't find it. Here is my problem. I have had my Pentair Intelliflo SV+SVRS pump for six years now and this year has been horrible. My pump shuts off 3 or 4 times a day for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will run for a week with no issues then I'll get issues daily (when it shuts down it says clear drain blockage). It is not blocked. My pool installer told me to change the sand in the filter however that hasn't changed the issues with the pump just shutting down. I notice it will shut down more often when it switches to the slower speed setting. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Problems like yours are fairly common when you have the SVRS version of that pump and your plumbing is in any way less than ideal. Some things that help a little (but don't usually resolve the problem) include keeping the skimmer basket, pump strainer basket, and filter clean and clear of debris, and having 2' of straight 2" pipe leading into the pump intake, and minimizing the number of fittings in your plumbing setup.

In many cases the only truly complete solution is to replace the pump with one that does not have the SVRS feature, which may require getting a separate SVRS system. The separate SVRS systems are not generally prone to these problems.

SVRS is required in some situations, most commonly when you have a single main drain that is less than 3' long or when the drain does not otherwise meet current entrapment prevention requirements. If you have one of those situations, then you need some kind of SVRS system, otherwise you don't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.