Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping nightmare!

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping nightmare!

So my pool reno finally started. Company came to install coping/tiling yesterday and after laying the coping found there is going to be a 2-2.5" gap between the coping and deck. In measuring this morning, I found the bondbeam is 11". The coping they ordered is standard 12" and they are trying to do a 2" over-hang on the tile line on the inside of the pool, thus the huge gap. This is clearly a case of the builder ordering the wrong coping size. A little math tells me I really need a custom sized coping of 13-14".

They are proposing I either back the coping with mastic or a tile as shown in the picture. I think the tile looks ok, but it is going to make the expansion joint quite small. Thoughts?

20,000 Gallon Gunite IG Pool w/ AG attached Spa -- Built 2004
    Sta-rite S8D110 DE 106 GPM Filter
    Sta-rite Max-E Pro 3 HP Pump
    Hayward H300 Electric Pool Heater
    Polaris 380 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Coping nightmare!

I can't quite understand which tile is which. Can you take a pic a little further back?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I can't quite understand which tile is which. Can you take a pic a little further back?
    I took another photo of another section. It might be more obvious in this one. The concrete pool deck is on the left, then the tile strip they would use to fill the gap, then the actual coping on the right.

20,000 Gallon Gunite IG Pool w/ AG attached Spa -- Built 2004
    Sta-rite S8D110 DE 106 GPM Filter
    Sta-rite Max-E Pro 3 HP Pump
    Hayward H300 Electric Pool Heater
    Polaris 380 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Why accept anything less than what was agreed in the contract? The builder make the error so have him exchange the tile for the correct size.

If you like his idea for adding the small tiles, then move the large tiles so they overhang a little more so the expansion joint will be wider.